Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
kick off
kick off
Quote:

The schsl is not about, seeking change or improvements, being visionaries or looking for top talent from the outside to help the organization rise to greatness in order to meet the demands of their membership.

are these same people running lowcountry soccer?

S
Brace
Brace
S
So let me get this straight.............

3 teams, Gilbert, Dutch Fork, and northwestern commited the same crime, but yet, NW gets no punishment, Dutch fork loses its coach, and pays a fine, but Gilbert, a girls program, cannot vie in the playoffs if they qualify???? Soooo.........the HSL's explanation is exactly what again??? NW has "friends" so we slap them in the hand, DF gets a severe timeout, but gilbert must face time in jail for "cheating" and gaining an unfair advantage on competition??? did i get that right or can someone correct me?

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
C
Coach
Coach
C
The only possible difference I can see in the Northwestern case is that Discoveries was actually renting the facilities from the school district, not just using them by permission or "agreement" as in the other cases. Under the terms of a legal rental agreement, it could be that the property was considered the domain of Discoveries Soccer Club at that time rather than that of the school district, which would avoid the district facilities restriction.

Still, if this is the case, then if the 75% rule was not broken there should have been no violation at all...so why the fine?

I've got good news and bad news...
S
throw in
throw in
S
Kevin's post is factual, accurate, and tactful. I believe his comments concerning the SCHSL were extremely gracious. The SCHSSCA has repeatedly attempted to make improvements for soccer. I was one of the many coaches that supported the aforementioned proposals only to have my AD shoot it down. The SCHSSCA can rock the boat but cannot afford to turn it over.

The reality is that the SCHSL is a small body of full time staffers with an excutive commitee and committee voting on different punishments for rule infractions. The committe membership changes over the years but,they are grounded in the traditional sports. (The self professed great achievement by the SCHSL's representative for soccer was to have the "taunting" rule implemented.)

Don't even consider taking legal action against them in a formal capacity as a coach or they will invoke a rule in their constitution which will make the school ineligible to participate in any sport.

I communicated with the General Counsel for the NFHS, John Black, last year concerning what I thought were issues of conflict of interest and inconsistant decisions and punishments administered by the SCHSL. He very succinctly informed me that the NFHS has no oversight or direction over the state organizations.

"Each state high school association adopting NFHS sports rules is the sole and exclusive source of binding rules interpretations for contests involving its member schools. Any person having questions about the interpretation of NFHS rules should contact the rules interpreter designated by his or her state high school association."

I did successfully petitioned the SCHSL under the Freedom of Information ACT (FOIA) for "priviledged" information. Precedent has been established which enforces compliance but, don't expect quick response. The SCHSL is represented by Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte.

Only extreme circumstances force the SCHSL to evolve... lest we should forget Mr. Matthews and the infamous "Soccer Rule".

What has happened with Dutch Fork and Gilbert are travesties of justice.

F
bench
bench
F
somebody said that nhs had a lawyer parent. they do and have a bunch of moms, veternarian or 2, a teacher or 2...and none of them were at the appeal. none pf them participated in the appeal. none of them are related to board members or know any of the board membrers. the league actually did the right thing and u r upset. the df coach did not have to resign nor should he have. i hope he comes back. does anyone know exactly what the gilbert girls did? enquiring minds would like to know.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
i really would love to say something about quinlan resigning but heise will delete it, so i'll just say i'm speechless, hope that works...

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
B-Rabbit & futbol,

Both of you made reference to Jerome Singleton as being the person responsible for the Northwestern ruling. Remember, Mr. Singleton's job is to interpret the rules and make a decision. He looked at the letter of the law and decided that Northwestern was guilty as charged, and handed down the fine, player suspensions, and banned the teams from post-season and tournament play.

My understanding is that it was the Executive Committee who heard the appeal and voted by the narrowest of margins (8-7) to rule in favor of Northwestern. This committee is comprised of AD's, coaches, principals and referees.

For those that are stating that Northwestern caught a break because they either:
a) have good legal representation
b) are in the "good ole boys club" with the guys down in Columbia
c) are a successful program that the SCHSL wouldn't want to ban
d) have a family member down at SCHSL headquarters

Remember.........

This is the 4th appeal that Northwestern has made on a SCHSL ruling in the past five years. They were soundly defeated in their previous three appeals:

* NW football team banned from the playoffs after a brawl with Marlboro County (15-0)
* NW football team forfeited games because Nathan Arroyo was an inelligible player (14-1)
* NW arguing that all the Rock Hill schools should be in the same region under the next regional alignment (?-?)

Northwestern doesn't call the shots down in Columbia, the committee just decided to rule in their favor this time. Justice was served.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Thanks Hurst... point is still the same why was NW reversed and Gilbert not... 8-7 vote in the executive committee means there was considerable disagreement in the penalty... Would very much like to see who voted which way.

I am surprised that a public institution does not have more public information on the verdicts including rationale to overturn a decision. At least none that I can find.

my whole point is simple ... rules should be enforced equally and I still think that Gilbert got shafted. So either we have the rules or we do not. That is the essence of rules to be black and white...not gray, to compete under the same conditions.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
futbol,
we all agree gilbert got shafted especially if their circumstances are just like northwestern's situation. nhs should not be dissed because the executive committee actually did the right thing. i still dont know exactly what gilbert did nor do i know how gilbert responded. does anyone know the whold story? where can it be found?

throw in
throw in
The excutive committee didn't do "the right thing". They preferentially decided to disregard a rule. If they want the rule in the books, apply it equally to all schools, or abolish it all together. Don't apply it or not apply it on a whim that leads to resentment and message boards that have ~140 posts on the same topic which means there are a lot of angry disgruntled people out there!

Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard