Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23
throw in
throw in
Quote:

Why not change the rule to state that you cannot coach ANY of your players in the off season. You would still ba able to coach club, you would just have to coach the other gender. That way, none of this type of thing would ever happen.

Again, why didn't they just practice on one of Manchester's grass fields??? Would have avoided this all.

I have no issue if they change the rules that way. I also think it just illustrates the ridiculousness of the whole thing that if they play down the street its OK if the play right here then its a problem. I think its obvious that the league needs to contemplate this more and come out with something more comprehensive than what they have.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I don't think banning high school coaches from coaching some of their players in club is the right answer. The fact that some of these club coaches coach high school teams makes the high school game so much better.

djt,

If you are suggesting that we attempt to level the playing field a bit by restricting when or how often a high school team can train prior to the official start date, you may find some folks in agreement.

As a coach, I'd like to have access to my players as often as possible.

As a parent, I would like my daughters to get a break. If the state mandated NO preseason conditioning or practice of any kind until the first official start date, I would welcome it. My daughters could probably use the rest in December and January.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Hurst....could not agree more about the rest... The fallacy is in the coaches having "conditioning" in the period of time for which the vast majority of their players are already "conditioned" as they are in state cup... they should have two programs conditytioniing for new and maintenance for the club players.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I didn't say not to coach club, just the other gender. That would also "spread the wealth" of the good coaches. The biggest problem with conditioning seems to be that coaches don't (or can't) differentiate between those 2 groups of people. Having some sort of fitness test would aleveate this. If you can pass the test, you go on a maintenance program. If you don't pass, then you go through the "get in shape" program

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
throw in
throw in
I don't have issues with preseason conditioning because soccer is such a physically demanding psort that if you just had these kids step in and play the first week of practice with no getting in shape time they would die. My issue stems more with hs coaches who are coaching their "club" team with 8 of their varsity players on it, on January 27th (this year) then are coaching their high school team with the rest of their palyers on January 28th. It just looks wrong, especially if the rules tell coaches like me, that you can't do ANY soccer specific activites with more than 3 of your players till the 28th. My opponenets though because of the "club" rule can essentially practice with half of their team since August. All I am asking for clubs to have a "dead" period in December and January so it makes it a little more balanced and fair to those of us whose kids can't do club. In addition there wouldn't be nay issue of who does what, where, and for whom during this time because all soccer specific activity would cease preventing issues like the whole Gilbert/NW fiasco from arising.

corner kick
corner kick
You are building a program and I think that every high school coach understands what you are going through. Nothing seems fair, but you are making positive steps. Keep up the good work coach.

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Quote:

Why not change the rule to state that you cannot coach ANY of your players in the off season. You would still ba able to coach club, you would just have to coach the other gender. That way, none of this type of thing would ever happen.

Again, why didn't they just practice on one of Manchester's grass fields??? Would have avoided this all.

I have no issue if they change the rules that way. I also think it just illustrates the ridiculousness of the whole thing that if they play down the street its OK if the play right here then its a problem. I think its obvious that the league needs to contemplate this more and come out with something more comprehensive than what they have.

You're trying to limit a coach, who makes about 6 cents an hour during HS season (assuming they do a decent job), from coaching teams of his/her choosing during the fall where he/she can actually make a decent amount of money to add to his/her income. If coaching 2 teams in the fall we're talking about adding potentially in upwards of 1500 dollars per month to a coaches income. That's with 2x a week for practice and weekend games. That's a substantial sum. Now, you're going to tell me that because I coach a HS team for a measily 3-1.5 grand from Jan-May that I can't coach a team of my choosing in the fall? Um, no. I'm sorry if Eau Claire feels threatend because some coaches at the HS level try to supplement their meager incomes with some Fall Club ball and opt not to train 8 year olds in the Amoeba formation and, most of us really can't help the fact that your players can't afford club ball as you've stated time and time again. There is, however, a substantial amount of scholarships available to players at various clubs around the midlands. CRSA, for example, gives out numerous, numerous scholarships each year.

Also, if you were to have an across the line, start date of Jan whatever wouldn't that hinder places like Eau Claire where soccer athletes are not in ready supply? Seems to me like Eau Claire could benefit greatly in the offseason conditioning season from late Nov-Jan by working on agilities/fitness first before you get the ball rolling. Those that have soccer players will be ready to go anyways and will just need to catch up on the fitness aspect, which, with soccer specific athletes, doesn't take all that long.

I know that SC soccer isn't fair to Eau Claire HS and I can only imagine the great undertaking that starting a program there might entail but, to be honest no sport is "fair" there's the have's and the have-nots. Phil Savitz is an EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT coach but,do you think he wins all those titles at some place like Pelion (no disrespect)? That's the way HS soccer is. You play with what you have and, preparation through club and all those other outlets makes it more exciting. You and your players are able to grow and come back to the Spring season with more and more skill in both the player and coach.

Last edited by TugJobber; 02/04/08 09:55 PM.

Puttin A's on B's
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I wonder what other states say about coaching their own players.

And how is asking coaches to coach the opposite gender in any way preventing you from making money??? It doesn't, it would just mean that you can't coach your kids, in your tactical scheme, with your tactics for 12 months of the year. I know for a fact that in at least 1 state the number of players from a HS to 5 per team and the HS coach can't coach any of their own players. They may still coach, just not their players.

2. shouldn't the best coaches be coaching those 8 yr olds so that when they get to HS they already have good technique? the problem is, HS coach moan about how much technique they must teach at HS and then they go and coach the 16 yr olds. if you want them to be technacally sound, you should want to coach those 8 year old (OK maybe the 10 - 12 year olds) so that you will have more quality players when they get to HS.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
The Fan I have to say that I disagree with your statement, sorry.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Cod0000,

Uh, no. If I'm going to coach, I'm going to coach whatever gender and whatever age group I want to coach (assuming it's available at my particular club). I'm not going to be regulated by some petty legislature that is too lazy to create a seperate rule book for individual sports because it requires 6 hours of their time or a simple email to a Kevin or Kyle Heise asking for help. I'm glad that you know for a fact about such and such state that does this and that. It doesn't make it or you right by any means. Limiting someone's profession is absolutely...well, lame and to many of us teaching may be the side job to pay the bills but, coaching is the profession. It's what we love to do and, it's what we live for. What you're suggesting would almost kill the high school sport of soccer. If you'd like me to elaborate on that, I could. You're also trying to tell me that I can't coach my kids in my tactical scheme with my tactics for 12 months out of the year. This, ofcourse, is obviously hyperbole because no one coaches 12 months a year, BUT, you're trying to tell me that because I'm a better coach than you that I can't coach my kids anymore because it might enable me to teach them more about the sport of soccer over a period of time, that as of right now is available to you as well? OK

And, no, 10-12 year olds do not necessarily require the best coaches. Technical training is something done over and over in repitition to build muscle memory and confidence in your athleticism, thus building skill. To be honest, from a coaching standpoint, a player could train himself to have very good technique by just using a ball and/or a set of cones. That's why some of the best technical players in the world come from places like Brazil where in the dirt streets they just play for hours and hours and develop their skills on their own from early child hood to the pro's. That's pretty much common sense in my realm to be honest

Last edited by TugJobber; 02/04/08 10:29 PM.

Puttin A's on B's
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard