Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
world cup
world cup
Heck yeah.

Take her and the 10 other starters out as well. Give a little love to the bench. It is the 31st place consolation game isn't it?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
She hasn't been asked that I know of. The team she played on last year had several past premier players who played down as I understand it and they really had a great time. She'll tryout for Premier.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
S
coach
coach
S
>>It's high school....and the Player of the Year award has to be measured according to what is done at the high school level.<<

Agreed. It's just easier if the player is more skilled. But I'd agree that while a correlation exists, it is not indicative of a causal relationship.

>>Does the best player in the state have to play R3 Premier and/or ODP?<<

Doesn't have to. But it sure seems to help. The reason is that the player who does this is pushing herself to compete against increasingly higher level of players. Thus, a player who wants to offensively take on 3 players in high school has a better chance if they're used to taking on 1-2 very talented players in RIIIPL or ODP.

There's always a player with a lot of speed, or a big leg, or some other single characteristic that sets them apart when their young. However, as a player gets older they run into situations in which there are other fast, or strong, or whatever players. It's difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to be the best player unless you've continually subjected yourself to the most challenging environments possible.

>>I agree that the player being considered the best in the state should be receiving a lot of mail from D1 programs, but if Blakely, Julie and Lindsey had decided to play their collegiate soccer at Tufts, Carnegie Mellon and RPI, should we have taken their award away because they didn't go on to prove themselves at the highest level? Or does the fact that they did go to D1 programs validate their award? <<

Again, let's not confuse correlation with causation. It is correlatable that larger universities, with larger student bodies, and larger scholarship funds, are going to capture a larger percentage of our top athletes. But it is not causal -- the best soccer player in the world can decide to go play intramural at a division 3 school.

If I have a bias in terms of soccer players, it's a bias toward versatility and toward players that elevate the play of all around them. In basketball, I'd take Kobe Bryant over Steve Nash -- but there are only five players in basketball -- in soccer I'd take Steve Nash every time because my leverage is greater with eleven players. But what the heck do I know...

P.S. I've successfully largely avoided this "best player" thread for a year (last year and this year.) I'll go back to that behavior now -- I just had to get on and respond when I saw cat's note -- just rang too true.

P.S.S. I believe that Sheets is one of the better players in the state. I'd guess that any placement of Sheets was strategic, not tactical or competitive. Very good player and like almost every very good player I see, she's truly versatile and truly unselfish.

world cup
world cup
Shibumi,

Good points. I've always avoided this topic as well, as far as I'm concerned, we mind as well start a thread on the prettiest girl soccer player in SC. I feel we would get the same type of answers and the same differing of opinion.

I used Taylor Parker as an example of a player with a sterling resume. I'm not sure it makes her the best player but if people want to come at it from an objective approach, rather than a subjective approach....she certainly has quality credentials.

I've already talked to Ashleigh's parents so there wouldn't be any confusion. Miss Sheets is an excellent player and team leader, I'm glad you think as highly of her as I do. Poor choice of words on my part.....I used the term "bumped" to exagerate my Taylor Parker argument. Ashleigh's certainly in the back for strategic purposes.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
Hahahaha!!!! There has never been a topic you've avoided!!! You've taken 3 years to hit the 3 grand mark while I worked diligently and needed 6

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

91 premier was solid. What number was your daughter?

mine wears #10.
i guess your idea of solid is a lot different from mine.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

She hasn't been asked that I know of. The team she played on last year had several past premier players who played down as I understand it and they really had a great time. She'll tryout for Premier.

if there were any premier players playing down on the challenge team it wasnt because they wanted to.more likely they had to.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Keep in mind she's a 10th grader.

Retired,

You may want to drop the "she's a 10th grader" asterisk, when nominating Marissa for "Best Girl Soccer Player". "Best" includes everyone, and there are some other very fast, very skilled players to be considered out there. I've watched Marissa off and on since she was playing U-8. She's always seemed a solid player with a great work ethic, but considering everyone out there this year I think it would be a stretch at this time to consider her "Best" out of all.

If she's looking to get a "pre-tryout" jump on impressing the CESA coaches this year, there is a friendly scheduled for 2:00pm this Saturday at USC Upstate between the '92 ODP team and the '90 CESA Premier team (along with some guest players). She might contact CESA to see if Coach Osorio's '90 team needs another guest player for the event.

The '92 ODP team consists of 9th and 10th graders. The '90 CESA team is predominently 11th graders, but does include a 10th grader that "plays up" a year in club (Marissa wouldn't be the only 10th grader on that side). It seems like it would be a good opportunity for her, as well as a good opportunity for the rest of us to see her on the same field with Hurst's Taylor Parker and some of the other 9th and 10th graders we've been hearing about on other threads. If she gets a chance to play (she needs to make the call), I'm sure she won't have the problem you mentioned earlier of finding players that can get the ball to her. Hope we get to see her this weekend, and congratulations to her for the success she's having this year.

Quote:

It's high school....and the Player of the Year award has to be measured according to what is done at the high school level.

...if Blakely, Julie and Lindsey had decided to play their collegiate soccer at Tufts, Carnegie Mellon and RPI, should we have taken their award away because they didn't go on to prove themselves at the highest level?

Hurst,

I have to agree. Giving up soccer to row some skinny little boat doesn't make Sarah Delap's high school career as a keeper less impressive. And, I may be mistaken on this, but I believe Lindsey passed on an opportunity to play at Chapel Hill to go to UNC Charlotte.

I have no idea of the criteria actually used by the powers that be to pick "Best" each year, but it IS interesting reading the debate.

H
brace
brace
H
is this sumwalt kid the best in the state? i really do not think so with all the good upperclassmen out there but do not hold against her who she scores against and who she does not.a kid can not help who she plays against. i think we had the same thread about teams one time before.a team can not help they play in a bad conference. take ft mill for example.alot of their wins come in a sorry conference.this year it appears no one is much good in it.they are still one of the best teams in the state.

corner kick
corner kick
I agree sweetfeet. I think alot of girls may not even play their true position becuase of their teams needs. The best players will get a FULL ride to an ACC school or top 20 team.

As far as AJ my daughter played against her for 3-4 years. I think she mainly stayed in the Classic league for several years and moved up to a challenge team later. She is Fast. I think if she had played with a better team and better competition at an earlier age she would be alot better than she is now. Not the best player is state by far, but a very very good athlete.

That there is an RV Clark......
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard