Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96066 03/08/08 03:22 AM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
People are ragging on Riverside (they'll be fine)....but let's give a little credit to Byrnes. Without a doubt, one of the best-coached teams in the state....seems like every girl on the team has bought into the system.

I don't get to see too many teams outside of York County but I did get to see Byrnes play twice in the Viking Cup. In their second round match they played a very good Hilton Head team (that seemed to lack the passion that they had displayed about 14 hours earlier on Friday night). Still Hilton Head certainly had the better of play but couldn't do anything real dynamic in the final third. Byrnes hung in there and played them tough. These two teams could have played all the way into Sunday night and I don't think Byrnes would have scored. But they took it to PK's and won the match.

They advanced to the group final where they put away a gritty Dreher team. No doubt in my mind that Byrnes was the better side.

Looking at Byrnes schedule, they gave up 8 goals in three scrimmage matches. They have only surrendered 3 goals in their five regular season matches....against top-notch opponents.

This team is built and coached to survive. They are in undoubtedly the toughest region in the state (Boiling Springs could probably win one region, place second in a couple others, and show in a few more......and they are a long-shot to make the play-offs in Region 2). I wouldn't be shocked if Byrnes leads the state in matches that end 0-0 after 80 minutes. They have a very good defense....and they are up against stiff competition.

I wish Byrnes well and as a Fort Mill supporter, I'm scared to death to face them in the state play-offs. It's probably safe to say that all of Region 3 is concerned with being matched against Region 2 in the first round of states.

Hope the big girls from the Greenville area keep the brooms in the closet.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #96067 03/08/08 04:01 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Ahhhhhh, so nice another region gets to feel R2's wrath. Clover, Fort Mill, and Northwestern will be hard to sweep -but I would have said the same for Greenwood, Wren, Hanna last year. Glad for Kingsley and company, but I miss Elizabeth. Hope she's doing well as well as daddy and baby. They were some of my favorites.

Link Copied to Clipboard