Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#96783 03/16/08 02:01 PM
S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
First off I would like to applaud Columbia United for their quick decision to call of the remaining games on Saturday, due to lightning and possible tornadoes.

However, I am disappointed at some of the other decisions they made:

1. Saturday they made an announcement for a team representative to show up at the field, at 5:30PM, for an update.
I drove through a crazy lightning storm to find out this was an "error". On the drive back to the hotel the traffic was backed up; another coach had crashed on the side of the road. Glad he looked OK but sorry his car was not. I think he was from CUFC.

2. Saturday night,there was an announcement that they would be making statement at 11:00PM on the changes for Sunday. The announcement to cancel was made at 11:35PM, why this could not have been made before this is beyond me. Why not wait until the morning when they could have made a better decision!?! The bad weather was fore casted to clear on Sunday around midnight and remain nice through Sunday.
There is nothing coaches or team managers could do at 11:35PM, other than waking a bunch of kids at midnight who were instructed to go to bed early ready for the games.

3. Their decision to cancel the remaining Sunday games, "in the interest of player safety," at 11:35 PM on Saturday night is very doubtful; I inspected the BB & T Fields, on Sunday morning, at 7:20AM, to find that fields were fine to play on and nobody's safety would have been in any way at harm. There were 2 of 6 fields that had some SLIGHT puddling. It was quite apparent that the decision was made for field protection, which would have been minimal. Not sure why they could not have stated this rather than hiding behind "player safety"

Disappointed and not returning next year!

brace
brace
I hate to hear this, but we had this experience at WAGS a few years ago, thus ending any trips to WAGS. . .

I hope all are OK. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
Brace
Brace
Sounds similar to the debacle at the Carolina Soccer Classic in February when it was called off prematurely and turned out to be a nice weekend.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
I agree with SoccerDoc and am disappointed that all the games at the Irmo practice field were canceled on Sunday. Those fields were also fine on Sunday morning. My child's team only played one game at 8:00 on Saturday morning. I hope someone at Columbia United will give an explanation for canceling the Sunday games and why the decision was made at 11:30 Saturday night.

corner kick
corner kick
Maybe if there was a pro-rated refund policy for situations like this, then they would think twice before just canceling everything and keeping the money. Even 5 Points purchased a rain insurance policy.

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
V
kick off
kick off
V
3. Their decision to cancel the remaining Sunday games, "in the interest of player safety," . It was quite apparent that the decision was made for field protection, which would have been minimal. Not sure why they could not have stated this rather than hiding behind "player safety"

From the first paragraph of the message...

St. Patrick's Day Cup Update
March 15, 2008, 11:30 pm
Due to severe weather events and damage to the playing fields, all tournament matches for the following venues have been cancelled in the interest of player safety: BB&T Complex, Ballentine Park and Irmo Practice fields. All matches Sunday originally scheduled for Polo Road will be played. Sunday’s Polo Road revised schedule for the U10 through U12 age groups will be posted no later than 6 am on Sunday, March 16th.

I maintain the fields and had nothing to do with the decision, but it looks like the Tournament Committee was not hiding playing field damage as a factor.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
The way I read the memo was that the fields were already damaged from the storm, not that they were concerned about it becoming damaged.

throw in
throw in
Thats the issue...a number of sources that went and looked at the fields saw no problems with them at all. Is there no one from the club that will come forward and make a statement to address the issues. I understand the weather is always a gamble for these things but not wanting to damage the fields. Fields can always be repaired but not persons confidence in your handling of this.

coach
coach

Last edited by 2004striker; 03/17/08 02:28 AM.
V
kick off
kick off
V
CUFC had people at all venues walking the fields until 1:00 am last night and then again at 6:30am this morning making sure they had made the right call. If your people "looked" at the fields from the car and did not walk them and they told you they were playable, they were incorrect. The National Weather Service also had tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings until 8:00 am. So I'm sure a lot of factors went into making the call when it was made.

I'm sure IF the committee would have allowed games to proceed there would be an opposite article about why do we pay the entry fee and have to play on standing water, in a storm?!!?? So both ways it's a no win for CUFC and an argument for anonymous posters.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard