Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
I walked the fields from end to end, there was only standing water on two fields and that was very little.....about 2ft circumference at the most in a couple of areas.
I doubt anyone would have complained about paying to play. Most, if not all, would complain when they drop about $300-$500, per player, not to play.
I think the decision to cancel was hastily made and a better decision could have been made on Sunday morning.

I
goal
goal
I
Kids and parents who were shorted matches were highly upset. It is, however, very difficult to predict weather, etc... if those who had to go were prorated back the entry fee, it may help keep people coming back. When you cancel the games you probably do not pay the refs, and that is the biggest expense, so they should give money back. We watched several matches at the Polo rd complex, everything seemed fine. We had a good time Sunday.

brace
brace
I think it is a no-win situation for any who try to put on a large soccer tournament. That's the nature of the beast since it is outdoors.

Hate that it happens and worry that it ruins great events by people who are doing the best they can. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
I agree that Columbia United needs to refund entry fees based on how many games a team got to play. If they bore some of the financial responsibility of their decision to cancel all of Sundays game then it would make players, parents, and coaches feel better about the decision. Otherwise they make more profit by canceling those games then if they were played due to not paying refs.

coach
coach
Confirmed tornadic weather was in the area. You can never predict the weather or its effects. The storm came in Sat. afternoon. So those games had to be cancelled. Also, the tornado watch was still in effect at 8am Sun. morning. You have to err on the side of safety. You have to consider if there were down power lines, trees, etc. anywhere in the area. You could really create a more severe problem by getting all the hundreds of fans/players out there, and someone is injured by falling limbs, hot power lines, etc.
Safety is always best policy, and CUFC used best judgement possible-

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=59706

I
goal
goal
I
There were issues with signs blown down etc, road signs and billboards at different spots... All agree safety is first and foremost. Let's not forget the young man in Spartanburg who lost his life last year. The classy thing to do would be make a financial gesture to those who did get shorted.

S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
If a decision was going to be made on the side of safety then the tournament should never had started. The weather report before the tournament showed the storm coming in over the weekend and we saw the devastation it had on Atlanta.
I think partial refunds would suffice and go long way in teams returning next year.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...they make more profit by canceling those games then if they were played due to not paying refs.

I can't speak for whether or not the club will consider refunds since I don't have responsibility in that area, but it is not just as simple as not having to pay referee fees. More profit IS NOT made "by canceling those games then if they were played due to not paying refs," because of other expenses that have already been incurred and because of unrealized revenues on concession sales, product sales, etc. So regardless of refunds, the club did not make more profit by canceling the games. And this does not include lost revenues in the future for teams that don't come back. This was a tough decision to make because it cost the club a considerable amount of money rather than making more.

I
goal
goal
I
somebody mentioned insurance for weather, where would one get such insurance?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T

Tony King
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard