Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
goal kick
goal kick
i would have to say summerville has the worst field. lopsided, with patches all over the field.

"THERE IS ONLY 1 RONALDO"
G
bench
bench
G
walhalla is almost all sand. my knee just touched the ground and i had scrapes.

R
bench
bench
R
summervilles field is finally looking descent this year

O
kick off
kick off
O
I must agree with Belligerent - the field at Stratford is horrible. It appears as they have done nothing to it since football season ended. There are hugh ruts at the center of the field, bare spots with no grass and then clumps of hugh weeds. It does need to be cut at the lowest level as the weeds were ankel deep. By the way...the baseball fields were picture perfect!

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
AD's of the school are the ones that hinder the fields. Most only care about football, due to the revenue and when the season is over the field takes a back seat. But if they maintained them correctly throughout the year there wouldn't be a mad scramble to get them ready after soccer is over. I'm in the turf industry and it doesn't take that much effort to make them look top notch, mostly desire to do so.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
The field at Landrum seems extremley short. I saw them play Woodruff a couple weeks ago, and players were ripping shots from half field.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Just wanted to jump in before we line up all the AD's and throw rotten fruit at them. Sometimes (as in our case) it is NOT the AD who has ultimate control over the fields. Heck he recently let me make the call as to field conditions and whether or not we should play a boys/girls double header against Spring Valley after a night of rain. We walked out on the field together the afternoon before, assessed things, and let me make the final call the next day. Yes, our AD does have a lot of input, but ultimately it is up one guy at the D.O. who is in charge of ALL fields in the district.

As for base/softball, well, I know that at least two of our schools are allowed to use donated outside services, pay for outside services, or make use of the agricultural classes at a school to maintain their fields. My understanding is that since those fields are not 'community' fields used by more than one sport they can police themselves to some degree. Yes I am envious, you should see the stick ball fields at BHS- very well maintained- but lets also admit that the coaches and players are often the ones out there grooming the fields, riding the 'dirt tractor' around the infield and performing other duties. The coaches and players do help "earn their fields."

I just wish we could play our games in the 'big' stadium which sits empty all spring and not have to play all of our different our spring sport matches (3 sports- 10 teams) on one of the same fields we also have to practice on.

Oh- but back to the original reason for the post--- it is not always the AD who is the bad guy!

tk

Tony King
World Cup
World Cup
I'm not going to comment on the worst field, but kudos to Strom Thurmond High School and Coach Arthur Northrop for consistently having one of the top pitches in the state.

My understanding is that their school's FFA (Future Farmers of America) has a "turf class" that prepares students going into golf course maintenance, etc. fields and they have their soccer field at J.E.T. Middle School in top shape.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I just wish we could play our games in the 'big' stadium which sits empty all spring and not have to play all of our different our spring sport matches (3 sports- 10 teams) on one of the same fields we also have to practice on.

Agreed. Blythewood needs to be playing in the stadium for varsity matches. I can understand JV or such playing on the field inside the track, but no excuse for the varsity sides not to play in that beautiful stadium. It's a direct slight to soccer.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I probably should post this under an alias for more than one reason-- but Ridge View too! They should also have the option to choose to play there if they want to since it is a district stadium.

Well, been nice knowing y'all.

tk

Tony King
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard