Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97328 03/20/08 02:40 PM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Anyone have any info on when the SCHSL is going to sanction girl's lacrosse?

I've heard that you need 16 schools with school-supported varsity programs before the state will recognize/sanction the sport.

Do you think the SCHSL would consider making this a fall sport? We already have girls track, soccer and softball in the spring......how many more team sports can we support during the spring season?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #97329 03/20/08 02:51 PM
B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
Boys and Girls Soccer should follow college and the majority of other states and be a fall sport. Lacrosse is up and coming and could become a spring sport for boys and girls.

BHSsoccer #97330 03/20/08 03:00 PM
B
throw in
throw in
B
Any sport that requires a large playing area (i.e. lacrosse, soccer, rugby, etc.)will never get the fields in the fall season because of football. The majority of the HS matches I ref are played on the football field. Would love to see lacrosse be sanctioned by SCHSL.

Blind ol Ref #97331 03/20/08 03:24 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Would be nice, but as mentioned, facilities are a big problem. Football takes up every inch of grass in the fall at most schools, and I agree with Hurst that it would be hard to field yet another girls' sports team in the spring.

Fall would be great, but for schools not lucky enough to have practice and playing facilities separate from football, I just don't see how it's practical to move soccer to the fall. It would be easier to find space around football for a girls' lacrosse team than to find it for girls and boys varsity and JV soccer teams at the same time.

Kinda sad...we can recruit the players, we can raise the money for equipment, but so many things are foiled by a simple little thing like a patch of grass to play on...

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #97332 03/20/08 03:36 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
We don't make room for it...Two new schools opening up next fall and the football fields are already in place with room to the side for soccer...If you can plan for a football field..why not make plans for a soccer field.

coldhardtruth #97333 03/20/08 04:02 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Good point...I'm not even sure if Cane Bay will even be offering soccer initially. The newer schools with the room to spare do have the option to plan their space around the sport (whether it be soccer or lacrosse--sorry about the thread-jacking, Hurst!).

What I'm concerned about most, though, is the established schools that simply don't have the options. I'd hate to see a decision made about choosing a season that would make soccer more of an "elite-only" sport where only the schools with the money and room for separate facilities could practically field teams. At least the way it is, schools who have no choice but to share fields with football at least have that option; putting both in the same fall season would take away that opportunity and, I'm afraid, squeeze a number of schools right out of the sport.

Sure, the highly competitive soccer schools would find a way, if they don't already have one...but I think the players at the other non-soccer-intensive schools who just enjoy coming out and playing the game should have the opportunity as well, regardless of whether their schools can afford a separate soccer facility.

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #97334 03/20/08 05:04 PM
corner kick
corner kick
I believe most Greenville county schools have both boys and girls Lacrosse programs today and this is having an impact on scheduling the fields. I noticed at the Mauldin Cup last weekend the field was marked for soccer and Lacrosse. The field is not in bad shape but you can see bare spots from all the sports being played on the field. But their baseball field is in perfect condition.

Last edited by fan_of_sports; 03/20/08 06:48 PM.
Man City FC #97335 03/20/08 06:01 PM
brace
brace
One you get to the smaller AAA schools, the stretching of numbers especially in girls makes it very hard to field competitive teams. If girls in the area play club soccer instead of high school, it makes it even harder.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset

Link Copied to Clipboard