Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
goal
OP Offline
goal
How are all these teams going this year?! I did a stint coaching with Palmetto High School a few years back and played against all the other teams mentioned.

Chapin had a great centre middy (Stellfox) and a handy winger aswell. Beat us 3-0 in the second round of the play-offs - does that silly rule still exist where the higher ranked teams get home advantage?! Someone please get rid of that archaic rule and open the draw up... its better for the game.

Pendleton we're so-so compared to the other "big" teams that we played, a bit scrappy but they had a good player
Hollingsworth, I think his name was... a proper ball player but other than him they didn't have much.

Walhalla had no outstanding individual talents and although I didn't exactly see eye-to-eye with their coach at the time (Schumacher) his team were very well coached and played some attractive ball. They weren't very big but were athletic and their heads were often a couple of touches ahead of their feet which is a good sign at that level.

Wren were another team that we played, Wes Knight was their main man at the time... a handy player aswell. He got pretty badly hurt in the game against us but he seemed a strong enough guy and I've no doubt he made a comeback? I think we scheduled them mainly b/c our school had a big American Football rivalry with them.

Anyway, that's my Bobby Robson ramble over with... are these teams still quite good with talented players coming through or has anything changed?? Anyone know what any of the players I mentioned are up to these days? Any of them get scholarships? I suspect that the guy from Chapin went on to kick for USC but I'm not too sure on that one - or any of the rest!

They were the only teams that stuck in my memory for how the opposition played. We travelled to BHP and they had a wonderful new facility there and I hope that their program has come on to do it justice. There was a lot of teams that were just fodder on the schedule but I think that all that has changed now? Surely the time of 12-0 etc etc scorelines have gone?

Thanks guys.

Andrew Foley Head Coach Mens Soccer National University of Ireland, Maynooth
J
world cup
world cup
J
Wes Knight ended up at College of Charleston.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Walhalla boys went to state finals in 2006, lost to BE 2-0 under the direction of Chris Prisig and Mike Estes (past Clemson coach and the current coach).

This year they are physical, very conditioned and very talented. Estes is a great guy and coach- very patient, great leader and very encouraging to the players. There are only a handful of players that have played club and those only played one year, so they are doing very well.

goal
OP Offline
goal

Thats good to hear on both counts. Any word on any of the rest of them? I know that Chapin went on to win state (2AA) the year we played them (2003 I think) they were very strong but if memory serves they had a bit of a dodge 'keeper? Any takers on that ranking rule come playoffs or it something thats just accepted?

Andrew Foley Head Coach Mens Soccer National University of Ireland, Maynooth

Link Copied to Clipboard