Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
throw in
throw in
S
Heard that BR packed it in and that RHS had 48 shots on goal, very windy (with 6-7 hitting the post and cross bar and many more just missing left or right) Heard that the BR goalie played very well!

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Heard that BR packed it in and that RHS had 48 shots on goal, very windy (with 6-7 hitting the post and cross bar and many more just missing left or right) Heard that the BR goalie played very well!

48 shots on goal for 3 goals... that's 45 saves. sounds like she played just a little better than "very well".

brace
brace
Uh. . .not ever missed shot = save. . .

Most shots are missed entirely by the player striking the ball. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Uh. . .not ever missed shot = save. . .

Most shots are missed entirely by the player striking the ball. . .

"...had 48 shots on goal.."

It's not a "shot on goal" if it's not on frame. It's simply a "shot". A shot on goal results in either a goal or a save.

brace
brace
rebound off frame wouldn't be a save. . .

and i doubt 48 shots "on goal" as the "shots" v. "shots on goal" terminology is not strictly applied in SC HS soccer. . ..

IF she stopped 45 shots on goals, it was a fruitful night for a keeper. . .but i never take people's claims of "shots on goal" very seriously. . .thank Coach P

hat-trick
hat-trick
Very often people use the term "shots on goal" inaccurately to mean "shots". I think we should promote the proper use of these terms and the differentiation of "shots" and "shots on goal" for high school statisticians. I don't know of a high school statisticians' manual, but the following quotes are from the NCAA Soccer Statisticians' Manual:

“A shot is an attempt that is taken with the intent of scoring and is directed toward the goal”.

“A shot on goal is a shot that is on net. The results of a shot on goal must be either a save by the goalkeeper or defending team or a goal by the attacking team. A shot that hits the post or crossbar without being deflected by a goalkeeper or defender and does not cross the goal line is not a shot on goal.”

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Coach P:
Is spot on, a ball that hits the post or crossbar is not a shot on goal, even if the ball is deflected against the post or crossbar it's still just a shot.

brace
brace
I agree—that was at the heart of my prodding, in fact—again, thanks Coach P. . .

brace
brace
Riverside had 20 shots on goal and shot about 20 balls 10 feet or more wide. They got very frustrated and just started kicking it in from 30 yards out. Had about 17 serious shots. Scored on a fluke miss by the BR goalie(concentration lapse), a header by their 7'6" midfielder (girl is VERY tall), and Sara bulling a pinball in from about 2 feet.

BR keeper is very, very good. She visited PC on Friday.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
For the record, Riverside had 43 "shots", but only 20 were on goal, keeper for BR had 17 saves. They scored on two corners, plus one once-in-a-lifetime miss by the BR keeper which was just an easy catch that she missed.

BR kept the shots to 1/3 of last year. We don't worry too much about the 30 yarders that go out between the edge of the goal and the corner.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard