Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
C
After the incident with one of our players on the boys team, I posed the question to our Head Basketball coach. If a player on the court uses foul language and is heard by the official, what is the consequence? His response "A technical foul" Same question to Football, a 15yd unsportsman like penalty. So I guess my question, is soccer held to different standards? It's no wonder that 3/4 of the ejections in the state come from soccer. We have different consequences for the same infraction in contact related sports.

Honestly, myself as a player have to admit that I in occasion am guilty of dropping a few choice words during a game in frustration.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cantona; 03/28/08 04:35 PM.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I could not agree more. Although I do not condone the actions of the player, it is interesting that SCHSL views all sports equal when talking about suspensions but leaves the rules of the in game process (with small modifications) intact. The rules in soccer are in place to punish a frequent abuser of the rules. A match suspension is clearly set to punish the abuser. But the game is supposed to be constantly flowing, no stoppages.

So in American football, if billy bob drops the f-bomb the team is punished 15yds. Billy Bob still plays can drop plenty of f-bombs or other physical abuse and unless he fights with someone nothing happens... "it is the heat of the moment" what most football people would say...no different in soccer.

In Basketball you consistantly infringe on the rules you are sat down for the remainder of the game. You can still play the next game. Your team plays at full strength. Not so in soccer.

The one that bothers me the most is that the infringement is in the referees eyes. If johnny gets two yellows for fairly inoffensive acts he is done the next time he gets a red he sits out two weeks

What the league should have for soccer is the cumulative rule. track the offense and have the players who consistently infringe on the rules punished not the infrequent player.

As far as this situation is concerned, he should have been more intelligent than that.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
You ever think we should bring basketball and American Footbal to higher standards...Maybe so many would not get in trouble with the law as our USC quarter backs do...

Last edited by dbsandis; 03/28/08 04:21 PM.
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

You ever think we should bring basketball and American Footbal to higher standards...Maybe so many would not get in trouble with the law as our USC quarter backs do...

dont worry. he most likely will never be the usc quarter back.from what i am told from source close to the team is that he is not as good as he is made out to be.

would every ref make the same call as this one did in the NW case?

C
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
C
DB

our player who was ejected was a large part of the article written in the local paper. Should the infraction committed receive this much coverage? Would it happen in the other sports mentioned, or like you said do we hold our athletes to different standards? Is the SCHSL not teaching the same values to all of our athletes?

I
goal
goal
I
No, it should have not been written up the way it was. He is a kid. Way too much exposure for a High School KID!!!!!

Brace
Brace
some other states do follow an accumulation rule. i.e. six yellows = 1 game suspension.

As it is, the rules are the rules. They are procedures to recommend or promote change if you feel the desire.

Rick Fielden
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I agree that the other sports should be elevated to the level that soccer players are held to. Or maybe to the level of golf where players are responsible for calling fouls on themselves.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
One rule that is little known..at least by players. If the ball goes out of play, they should stop play. As a coach I teach players to keep playing until the whistle, as a ref, we can call the player that keeps on playing, and give the ball to the opposing team.
Let me add to my statement, the player should be calling the ball out, if it goes out, and indicate themselves who the ball belongs too. The ref should never have to interfere with a whistle!

Last edited by dbsandis; 03/28/08 08:09 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

One rule that is little known..at least by players. If the ball goes out of play, they should stop play. As a coach I teach players to keep playing until the whistle, as a ref, we can call the player that keeps on playing, and give the ball to the opposing team.

A player who continues to play the ball after the ball is out of play is guilty of misconduct and should be cautioned and shown the yellow card for delaying the restart of play. No foul can be called since the ball must be actually in play for a foul to occur. After the player is booked, the restart should be that which is appropriate for the manner in which the ball went out of play. If the player was continuing to play after the ball crossed the touch line, the restart is a throw in. If she continued after it crossed the goal line, the restart could be a goal kick, corner kick or even a kick off. If she continued to play after the referee blew the whistle for a foul, the restart would be a free kick for the original foul. The ball may or may not be awarded to the opposing team depending on how the ball originally went out of play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard