goal kick
S
Thanks for the clarification Coach P!

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I don't agree with "the ref should NEVER have to interfere with a whistle." On an obvious ball that is well out of play, certainly they should stop play and get set for the restart. But on those close balls where the player is trying to save the ball right on the line, are they expected to call a ball themselves by an inch or two out of play? It's not always easy in the middle of a play to tell whether "the whole ball crossed the whole line." In close calls, one player may stop thinking the ball is out of play, while the other continues on, gets the ball, and never gets stopped. I teach my players to play it safe...on a close call, keep playing until someone stops you--your opponent most likely will.

As for the ref and the linesmen...on the close calls, raise a flag. Blow a whistle. It's not that much effort.

And don't ask them to start calling their own fouls...that ain't happening either.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Now, if by "out of play" you mean a foot or more out of play, I agree with you completely...nobody should have to stop them on the obvious.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I agree with you Coach Chass. I referee and feel that, as the referee, it is my responsibility to call the ball out of play unless it is obvious. The way to do this is blow the whistle. I have no problem with players "playing the whistle" if it is not clearly out of play.

A related issue that dbsandis may be referring to is the referee's objective to not get involved or call attention to himself unless it is necessary. This is the players' game. The referee should only assert himself when necessary for player protection or to make sure the laws of the game are inforced. In other words, if the ball is out of play but play continues, blow the whistle. But don't blow it for every obvious out of play situation.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Yes, The referee should know when to get involved and when not to get involved. Likewise the player's are also expected (but I know better, since they are taught to play the whistle) to make their own calls.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I think it would be great if the players WOULD always make their own calls. Honesty and sportsmanship are always appreciated. Still, these are high school students, in a high-intensity competitive environment; I just don't think they can be practically expected to always do so accurately. The real problem arises when a player from one team tries to make her own call and the players from the other team continue play; then, unless the officials are really on the ball, you have a serious disadvantage situation.

More than once on the field I've seen a player go for a save on the line, realize she didn't quite get the ball back in before it went out, and back off, only to have the other team take possession, continue play, and gain a scoring opportunity. If the linesman is obstructed from a clear view, sometimes the call is not made. In a sport where games are often decided by a single goal and a split second of hesitation, players and coaches simply can't afford to assume that everyone is going to see the ball the same way and stop playing. It just makes more sense on a non-obvious call to assume the ball is in and continue play than to assume everyone sees it as out and stop, risking a giveaway to the other team. Also, possession after the ball goes out often goes to the team that grabs the ball first for the throw-in--regardles of who it really went out on--unless the officials are quick to make a correction. A lot of times, in a clash, the players honestly don't KNOW who touched the ball last.

The officials are the only truly objective, unbiased, and non-adrenaline-addled people on the field; I think it's perfectly reasonable for the players to rely on them to make the calls that aren't glaringly obvious so that nobody gets an advantage from differing player interpretations on the field. I know as a coach, I'd feel much more comfortable with the officials erring slightly on the side of control than depending on players in pitched competition to make their own fair, accurate, and unbiased calls that could potentially change the outcome of the match.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard