Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Is it just me or is the SC Player and coach getting WAY better than previous years while the SC Official has regressed to the point where they are a laughing stock and the butt of a consistent string of run-on jokes? I saw some of the most horrendous officiating at the Palmetto Cup this weekend. That is supposed to be the finest tournament this state has to offer with the best officials. I saw blatant handballs being neglected, offsides not being called/being called inaccurately, the worst throw-in's NEVER being called, and the simplest rule in soccer not being followed: "the ball is not out until it has COMPLETELY crossed over the touch/end line". What gives? Why aren't these horrid crews held accountable for their actions? It seems like more and more often a stroke of good luck is required to win tight matches where phantom pks and phantom extra minutes of added time. You question an official and they have no clue about what is going on. What is the deal with these people? Can they not read the rule book? Are they high? Seriously, I'm looking for answers as I am a little perplexed by some of the calls and decisions I saw this weekend.

The Palmetto Cup is a great tournament and displays some of the greatest talent collections in HS soccer for the Spring Season. The last place finisher in the Palmetto Cup out-classed any bit of officiating I saw all weekend by miles. It was as if the officials have become too old and slow to keep up with the play. At what point do we sit back and say that something must be done?

M
bench
bench
M
That will just about cover the fly bys

I'm gonna brake you up just like Eduardo.
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
this is very true. i did see some bad officiating this week and a top notch tournament like the Palmetto Cup should have better refs

goal
goal
Ha, good point. Can't wait for all the horrible oficials to see this....let me go ahead and say it for them(as this topic arises every spring)...."Well, if you can do a better job, then get out there!.....haha, the officiating has been going downhill for the past ten years, especially in the Columbia area. I think the head of officiating needs to do more head of officiating and less coaching/tournament organizing. Those guys are jokes, no professionalism whatsoever.

What's my name?! Chuck Norris doesn't get questions, he gets answers!
corner kick
corner kick
"Houston - we have a problem"

Achmed see offsides called on throw-in.

I sorry, I have to say it
"Holy Crap"

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
Goal
Goal
I too ventured over to West Columbia to watch a few games in the Palmetto Cup this week and was amazed at the poor officiating.

My daughter, who played at RNE, constantly commented that the officials were making the wrong calls. Particularly in the Wando/Hanna game at Airport when the center official called a pk on the Wando goalkeeper who had come off his line, got two hands on the ball and the forward collided into/over him, but the referee was literally at midfield and came flying in to make a game-changing call. One, he was out of position, and two it was the wrong call as the keeper had every right to the ball and claimed it going straight ahead and leading with his hands. Geesh, since when can keepers not challenge for a 50/50 ball?

In another match, the center official seemed extremely whistle-happy and simply wanted to see how many times he could blow his whistle. He blew it non-stop in a distinctively irritating shrill and postured around like a banty rooster. He clearly does not abide by the "best official is one that is not noticed" moniker.

All in all, I thought the few games that I watched were quite good and I continue to be amazed at the better level of play now in comparison to just 5-7 years ago when my kids were active. I would agree that the players and coaching have improved, but the officials have refused to do so.

Victory Starts Here!
F
throw in
throw in
F
It's getting so bad that even soccer moms know more than the refs..lol

C
Coach
Coach
C
I saw a keeper carded and a PK awarded in one of our games early in the season for the same sort of thing. Granted, I was on the far end of the field, but all I saw was her coming out hard for a 50/50. The call was in my team's favor, but even my forwards said later that they weren't sure why she was carded. Later in the same game, my keeper came out and slid for a ball...the ball bounced out, the attacker continued through, and my keeper took a shot to the ribs that left her curled up on a little ball on the field. No call, no stoppage of play, and a subsequent shot on an open goal that won the game while she was still laid out on the turf.

Can we get a ruling on a keeper's rights to come out and get the ball from someone with authority? In a one-on-one, I've always taught my keepers to come out and take the ball before the attacker can take the easy shot...it concerns me, though, when I see keepers carded for doing just that, and not being protected from attackers who try to plow through regardless of the keeper's possession of the ball.

I've got good news and bad news...
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I too went out to the Palmetto Cup this weekend. The officiating was awful through and through. At the semi-final at AHS between SV and Eastside the center official awarded a PK to SV with 1 minute left in Regulation...1 MINUTE? Unless it is a totally rash challenge why would you decide to be the show and influence the outcome of the game? I could understand all this if Sean Flynn didn't go up to the official after the game and embrace him like a father figure. It was actually quite disturbing. Is that really supposed to be what the game is all about? Who you know?

I also saw some of the worst throw-ins ever! What is it with this helicopter spinner that I see all the time? It's straight back and over-the-head...nothing sideways and the motion must be one at all times...none of this start and stop crap that I keep seeing all over the place.

Last edited by TugJobber; 03/30/08 05:51 PM.

Puttin A's on B's
H
goal
goal
H
There was no penalty awarded in OT. The penalty came with a couple of minutes left in regulation, about two minutes after a penalty had been awarded to Eastside.

I absolutely agree with your comments regarding throw-ins. I also agree with the general concerns and observations expressed in this thread. The officiating is very poor. Like it or not though, the problem is the pool of referees is much smaller than it needs to be. I don't know what needs to be done to increase the number and quality of available officials. It is a serious problem that is badly detracting from the game. I hope it is being evaluated and solutions considered.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard