Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
goal
goal
WOW! Did you really just post that crap? Your great teaching logic is great....for 8 year olds. We are speaking about not just high school, but matches that actually matter. I don't care how many officials there are, there is no excuse for not noticing or calling a bad throw in(just one example). The mistake theory, yeah, great, nobody is perfect. But to compare the mistake of a bad trap(a physical mistake by a growing, learning teenager) to the mental mistake of no call/bad call/blatantly not knowing the rules of the game from a trained, certified adult is bull.
I am absolutely positive that there are very few, if any, coaches out there that blame a bad outcome of a game on the officials. Calling bad officiating bad officiating is one thing, blaming a lose on the officials is another.
One last thought....when one of your kids does something wrong, but the officials do not call him on it, do you step in and correct him, or let him beleive that becuase the official didn't say anything he is right? If you go one way, you and the official are reinforcing bad play, if you go the other, you are doing exactly what you are trying to tell us we are wrong for doing, which is that there is bad officiating.

What's my name?! Chuck Norris doesn't get questions, he gets answers!
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

As a coach, I constantly teach my kids the importance of not blaming the refs. When we do that, we give them reasons other than themselves for why they lost the game. In my many years of coaching, I have never had a ref cost me a game. In fact, last year we lost in the playoffs 2-1. The goal was scored on a breakaway in which the kid was 5-10 feet offsides. The ref missed it and it cost us the game. However, we had ample opporunities in the game to score other goals. Was I upset about the call, yes. Did that one moment cost us the game, NO.
Refs are people too that make mistakes. When you get a chance, count the number of missed traps, bad passes, bad shots, missed shots, poor choices, etc... your players, kids, or yourself make during the course of a game. Compare that to the number of mistakes a ref makes. I hope you all see what I am saying.
Do we have some refs who need rediscover the rules and love for the game? Yes.
Do we have some refs that really need to retire? Yes.
Do we need to continually bash these people that provide a service to your school? No.
Instead of focusing on their mistakes, start telling them it was a good call even if it is against your team. I guarantee your opinion of them will get better. They may even end up being a better official.
Most people prefer sugar to vinegar.

It makes sense. We can't all be perfect all the time. Mistakes happen, and those who make them too often should consider moving on. I know, having worked as one myself, it's not a whole lot of fun learning a new trade while everyone expects you to be flawless while having their own subjective opinion of every call made.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I will say this.
My biggest issue with "some" refs is inconsistancy.
If a refs consistantly calls or doesn't calls something, the coaches can adjust to it. It is when there is no rhyme or reason to the calls. Some allow the game to be more physical, some interpret handling the ball as gaining an advantage, etc. that is fine, as long as you call it the same every time.
My biggest beef is seeing the same refs at every big game. The whole "seniority" over ability drives me nuts. If the ref in the center never leaves the center, I don't care if you have known him for 30 years, he shouldn't be in the middle.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Not to even mention that they are being paid to do a job. I know they don't make much and all that - but they are paid. If I do a bad job I usually hear about it - are these guys really held accountable or does their little insider fraternity pretty much protect them?

Brace
Brace
Feel some blame can be placed on the assessment phase. One, more games should be assessed and assessed with high standards, not worrying about hurting someone's feelings. Second, coaches should have an avenue to grade/assess. Feedback should be a criticial component of a ref's development.

Rick Fielden
S
Brace
Brace
S
the problem that comes up with assessment though is how biased some coaches will assess, that is if you're implying that coaches do the assessment. If a team win a game because their player fell in the box, happened to be next to a defender but didn't touch him, and the ref calls the PK with only 3 minutes left, how do you think that coach's assessment will be??? and what about the losing coach??? Now if coaches can put the feelings and emotions of the game aside and do a real assessment of the referee regardless of personal anger at the moment, then it might work, but the trust issue comes up. And how will the league be able to grade Ref Doe, when coach John gave him an A+ since he won, and the losing coach gave him and F because that questionable call cost him the game???? Now refs do need to be graded or something so that they can do a better job, but how can we do that without worrying about bias, favoritism and such???

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
In my opinion the officiating in this state is getting so bad that winning a state championship may come down to questionable calls. I know that games are won and lost because of bad officiating every week. The fact of the matter is that no one is willing to admit that these officials are awful. You see some of them out there and you just cringe because you know the official will become the entire "show" and it's almost like he/she wants to be. This is what makes people upset.

Don't give me that "they provide a service" crap. They get paid and paid well, especially since they get mileage now. For example, if you live outside of 20 miles from Columbia and ref a JV-Varsity match up or two varsity games in one night. You're almost getting paid 100 dollars for 160 minutes of work. Doctors provide a service...if you go in for a physical and the doctor takes off a testicle are you going to be mad? I assume you're going to say "o well he provides a service, I shouldn't question his ability. I can live without a testicle and get made fun of my whole life." If you're going to do a job, do it right and by the rules set forth to undertake that job. If you can't do it right, you should be held accountable. This is the problem. There's no way to hold these tools accountable for trying to change the outcomes of matches.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
One thing I would like to see is that refs are only allowed to ref the same school a limited # of games. And also a ref should not be able to ref in the state finals if he has ref'd for either of the schools that happen to be playing for the championship. Maybe take it a step further, bring in out of state refs. for championship games. Give us the Ga. or NC refs and we will send ours to them. There was a ref last year that ref'd the championship game and had ref'd one of the teams regular season games and some things had been said or done in the regular season game that affected the championship game. I'm not saying he allowed the outcome to be what it was, but there were many questionable calls made. This is all about the kids and that should be respected. It should never turn into a situation where feelings about one person or another has a affect on the game, esp. the flow of the game.

Goal
Goal
In my 10 or so years of coaching, which includes JV Boys and Girls and Varsity girls, I can honestly say that I have only seen a handful of games that a team lost as a result of the officiating. Refs make bad calls but don't determine the outcome of most games. We usually don't hear about the blown 1v1 or missed marking assignment that gave up a goal. If you don't like the refs, get out there and take the class and the test and become one yourself. If you think you could do a better job....

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
the problem with assessments is that the assessments are being done by the same people assigning these refs.
Jaguar,
I like the idea of coaches having a say. I have heard of states that let the coaches give 5 recommendations for the tournament. then the assignors work off of that list for centers. the reason refs don't want that is because you would break the system of "seniority". To be honest, I think coaches will be a lot more open minded then the assignors are. Plus, it would prevent "coasting" by officials through the regular season because they already know they are going to get playoff/champoinship games. If they know the coaches are going to have a say, they may be a bit more polite and work a little harder.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard