kick off
O
Me too!!!!! If 24/7 only knew

B
goal
goal
B
24/7,

Respectfully, I disagree, but I could be wrong, god knows I am whenever I referee a match.

I'm pretty sure that USSF certification is not a requirement to be a HSL certified soccer referee. However, it may be "required" by the local referee assignor. Be that as it may, I thought grade 8 USSF certification is not a 3 day training class, but total of 8 hours, re-cert being 4 hours. As for the HSL classes, I only had to attend 1, 1 hour class each year and pass a test.

Just wanted to explain my understanding of the requirements.

So, remove the requirements piece because you can easily look up the various requirements, is there anything else about my assessment of part time employment that is off?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
eight hours is correct...

A
Kickoff
Kickoff
A
To go along with this, each ref is required to do 2-3 pre-season scrimmages for no pay at all. If you ask most refs, they do not do this for the money. The money is nice, but most do it for the love of the game. I played for 15 years, but i'm not able to anymore and this is a good way to stay connected with the game of soccer.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

To go along with this, each ref is required to do 2-3 pre-season scrimmages for no pay at all. If you ask most refs, they do not do this for the money. The money is nice, but most do it for the love of the game. I played for 15 years, but i'm not able to anymore and this is a good way to stay connected with the game of soccer.

DITTO! ! !

brace
brace
What's the deal with hiring three refs or two for a game? Financial only? It creates a distinct advantage for a "home" team that gets three refs for every game. Do the refs make the same money for those games?

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
This won't get any kudos from coaches, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of refs (except during our losses of course). Pretty consistent, few cards and all earned.

B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

This is an area/assignor requirement. The simple answer is, the SCHSL says no referees are required for a scrimmage. Heard it from Roger Hazel directly. So, yes area referee pools use it to get the referees ready for the season also. And yes, many referees do the scrimmages for free. That said, there are also some referees that don't do scrimmages, but still do games during the season.

I agree, with most referees it's not about the money, but there are some. My response so far has been linked to the comment, pay them more and you will get better referees.

B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

What's the deal with hiring three refs or two for a game? Financial only? It creates a distinct advantage for a "home" team that gets three refs for every game. Do the refs make the same money for those games?

Actually, in a two game set with 3 referees, if you get a center and a line, the referee would make slightly more money, work in a better system, and typically do a better job.

From the school perspective, it costs more, which is why some schools don't use 3 referees. I believe it to be in the range of $30-$35 per game. Doesn't sound like much, but when you look at the number of home matches a school plays, Girls JV/V, Boys JV/V, it can be a burden on the athletic department. Add that to the fact that if you look at the number of fans for the soccer matches, and take into account the gate receipts at $5 a head, some schools don't even collect enough money to pay the referee crew.

Some have tried to have 2 for the JV and 3 for Varsity, but often times the referees don't want to travel for only 1 match.

brace
brace
Bear: Thanks for the answer. We can't really afford 3 refs, but seems to me if more of that happened it might make it easier to create a bigger ref pool. Maybe there aren't enough people to fill it?

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard