Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#97959 03/30/08 09:44 PM
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
So it's time to play "You make the Call"
You're a ref and you see the following play.
You make the Call!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXgh1NdRJE

This is in 1/2 speed and sorry about the low resolution.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Watched it about a dozen times...from the camera angle, it looks like the keeper comes in, misses the ball, and kicks up into the attacker's shin after the ball is away.

Missing the ball and kicking the player is a foul, no matter who you are...and from the upward angle of the kick it might be seen as intentional. I'd support the card on that one.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
On further review, more ankle than shin...but the verdict stands.

Brace
Brace
A terrible call to be certain! No way a card and the keeper had every right to the ball in that situation. The ball had been shot upon the GK approach. Nothing more a keeper can do in that situation. Keeper has every right to protect himself on the dive as well.

BAD CALL!!!

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
Brace
Brace
Let's vote:

Is the Center Official correct in issuing a card to the goalkeeper and a penalty kick in this instance?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 03/30/08 10:10 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
Goal
Goal
I missed the PC for the first time in ages. I wanted to make it out Saturday but weather didn't permit it. All the press I heard and read means it must have been a good event once again.

No way is that a penalty. I don't even know what teams are playing, but that is a textbook defense by a goalkeeper. What else is he/she supposed to do in that situation? He doesn't lead with the feet (no 2-footers) and his hands are in the proper position. 99% of the time this call "protects" the goalkeeper for obvious reasons. Doesn't look like anything malicious to me.

My question: Did the keeper get called for the foul or not? If so, did he receive a card? Had to be a penalty, right? Was the PK good? What was the final and who was playing?

50th for a reason!
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Maybe not intentional, but the kick with the leg was made after the ball was away...stop motion shows the ball past the keeper's head when the leg swing starts. Going for the ankle, or just bad timing? Can't say. Any other actions by the keeper previously that would cause the officials to look a little harder at throwing a card? No way to know.

Is it a foul? The keeper completely missed the ball and kicked the player instead. Intentional or not, yes. Watched it happen a thousand times on all parts of the field; it gets called.

I tried the old "She was GOING for the ball--she just missed the timing!" argument more than once for my players who got ankle rather than ball...never knew it to talk a ref out of a call yet.

Maybe a yellow, maybe not, depending on surrounding circumstances...but still looks like a foul in the box to me, accidental or not.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Had he gotten even a tiny piece of the ball, now, I'd say play on.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Brookland-Cayce vs Kempsville Virginia
Yellow Card, keeper had to leave for the PK.
BC doesn't have a back up keeper, but the fill-in keeper almost stopped it (similiar situation with A.C. Flora, but that time the fill-in keeper did stop it)
Kempsville got the shot, however BC won 2-1

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
goal
goal
The keeper stick his right leg up in what looks like an attempt to trip the opposing player. It doesn't look like he was trying to protect himself. Looks like he was trying to trip/hurt the other player. Good call by the official.

Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard