Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
world cup
world cup
J
Quote:

Matt Abee for Socastee in the 2005 lower state final game against Myrtle Beach. Finished the game with a ruptured spleen from a collision with Myrtle Beach's David Lloyd and still held on for the shutout.

DITTO on Abee! I was lucky enough to witness this incredible display of heart.

goal kick
goal kick
DOUBLE-DITTOS ON ABEE!!!!

The 2005 Lower State Final was a memorable game and unfortunately the last game for two great young men.

F
bench
bench
F
Which two are you referring to?

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
matt carlisle for northwestern turned back an unbelievable number of shots in 03 AAAA final against irmo even though nhs lost. the next year his hand got kicked and broken in the first half but he never came out.

goal kick
goal kick

Freeze,

I am referring to Matt Abee and David Lloyd. Although there were many other players on the field that night who deserve credit, it was the collision between Matt and David that clearly had an impact upon the game and the eventual state championship. I had the privilege of coaching Matt when he was with the “AWESOME” Orange Crush team and I also had the privilege of knowing David via our club (Coastal Soccer). Both of these men are great competitors and come from great families. David was a member of the Coastal University soccer squad and has decided to focus on academics. Matt Abee went to Wofford and has become an outstanding member of their respective student body. I wish them both well and I sincerely hope that they achieve everything that life has to offer them. BTW, David played in the new adult soccer league in Myrtle Beach and his team was the eventual champion.

F
bench
bench
F
Did you mean last game of the season or last in high school? If I'm not mistaken, Matt was a junior in the '05 season, so he continued to play for Socastee.

Fun fact: Davey's 3v3 team (which includes former MB standouts John Weaver and RP Benik) went to the national 3v3 tournament earlier this year in Florida and took 2nd in the whole thing.

Off topic, but nice to see some former SC players making a splash on a large scale.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
wolfgang i second that...03 state championship 4A matt carlise was a beast...20+ saves

One Time!
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Matt Abee for Socastee in the 2005 lower state final game against Myrtle Beach. Finished the game with a ruptured spleen from a collision with Myrtle Beach's David Lloyd and still held on for the shutout. Unfortunately wasn't able to feature in the state final game, but I believe they would've won had he played as it finished 3-2 to Eastside (The Socastee player that was in goal let in 3 in the first half, but then scored 2 in the second half when he was put back into the outfield).

------------------------------------------------------------

I graduated from Socastee High School in 2003 and had the honor of meeting and coaching Matt Abee at Socastee when he was just a freshman/sophomore while assisting Coach Suarez. I was present at that fateful Lower-State Final game as well where he played most of the 2nd half with the ruptured spleen. Had Suarez known about it he would have been pulled from the game immediately. But, he made it through and finished the game. As he started to walk towards the bench though he just collapsed. Never(I mean NEVER!) have I seen so much heart and selflessness from an individual so determined to get his team to the final. A truly inspirational leader to the core. It is a shame that the team was not able to capitalize in the final. I would agree that if he had played in that Championship game...it would have had a much different ending. Rarely did he let one get by him as a general rule. I would venture an estimate and say that 85% of the games he started were shutouts. A phenomenal player and an even better person. Definitely among the top goalies from this state in recent history. While Suarez continues to be among the best coaches in the state as well with two trips the State Finals in three years. We shall see what this next season brings us in the end!

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Where is Abee now?

S
throw in
throw in
S
He went to Wofford. I am not sure if he has joined the Soccer Program there or not, I have not seen him in a while. I know he had an interest in doing so but he may be focusing on his education.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard