bench
OP Offline
bench
A

O
throw in
throw in
O
Conrads. I trust the kids had a good time, but I have to ask... Why did you play your select teams in the lowest recreational bracket? Not exactly fair to the true rec teams that were in there with you.

http://www.soccerscheduler.com/directors/vieweventteamscleanb.asp?eventid=2780

http://act.ayso722.org/index.php?module=...MN_position=3:3

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
They were put in there...i really believed it should had been 2 brackets, instead of 3. Hinesville, Ga to my knowledge was a rec team or with GYSA (Hinesville Soccer Association).
Mt Pleasant had a few teams representing, in each age and bracket.
Then again, we should start there. First match. First tourney.
Growth comes from the beginning. Now they can compete and be placed i hope by each tourney's director where they should.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
If that was their first tournament together as a team I'm sure they had a blast and "caught the bug". My son enjoys his league games but lives for the tournaments and travel. Maybe it's just staying in a hotel and hanging with his friends.

Congrats to your teams.

I
goal
goal
I
Looking at your web page, you guys are bragging on a team that was beaten by MPSC's E - team... twice. ROFL

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Quote:

If that was their first tournament together as a team I'm sure they had a blast and "caught the bug". My son enjoys his league games but lives for the tournaments and travel. Maybe it's just staying in a hotel and hanging with his friends.

Congrats to your teams.

Thank you.

I
goal
goal
I
About time for Dale Jr. to put his to cents in?!?!?

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Quote:

Looking at your web page, you guys are bragging on a team that was beaten by MPSC's E - team... twice. ROFL

Give credit where credit's due, my friend. Keep on rolling on the floor laughing...just don't get a boo boo.

I
goal
goal
I
two, not to

L
throw in
throw in
L
98G Luna-Chicks look forward to playing one day.

Sorry that MPSC put my u-9 team in the top u-10G bracket.

While we lost all games,

We did give everyone a game!!
S. Charlotte was 1-0 at half
Georgia was 1-1 into the 2nd
and MPSC White - 2nd tier academy 2-1 Final (we tied @ cufc)

Luna-Chicks

We will be at the BFA and State Cup waiting on all comers in the 9G division

S
bench
bench
S
Congrats to your teams AYSO. If this was their first tournament/match together you should be proud. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Football coach's comments are the reason soccer in the upstate of SC isn't growing like it should. Instead of congratulating fellow organizations you put them down. Seems like you are more interested in winning than in the development of the players.

I
goal
goal
I
Looks like you guys should have been in the top bracket, even though your were U9. That deserves a Congrats.

S
bench
bench
S
Congrats Luna-Chicks. Sounds like you had some hard fought matches.

I
goal
goal
I
Soccerluvr, your 1st post is all wrong. I was simply stating they were bragging about losing to an E team twice. If that is not funny, nothing is.

The Luna-Chicks should be congratulated and will have bright futures. Whatever model they are following others should study and learn to develop players. There is a big difference in U9 and U10 for girls. My hats off to them.

L
throw in
throw in
L
FYI

Saurez Soccer school twice a week
(Temoc Saurez + Staff)

I coach the 3rd day

Luna-Chicks

I
goal
goal
I
Real coaches get real results!! Thanks

Since, Soccerluvr, accused me of destroying SC soccer, I will take liberty to address this.

The AYSO ACT model, is DAD's coaching kids for 9 months, playing 2 or 3 tournaments. That is it. I do not see how this leads to great soccer players, to "their full potential". I do not see how it is inexpensive either, one of their stated goals. They are playing the most expensive games possible, tourneys.
It does not seem like everything is adding up. All the goals and objectives of this program do not look like they will get them what they want. Their record will show whats what over time. Hopefully, they will play in select brackets as OBD 15 pointed out.

Remember my 1st post, just pointing humor out, not putting them down, but since I found myself under the bus...

O
throw in
throw in
O
Back on topic....

If you got placed down in the rec brackets, it's probably simply because of the way you filled out your tournament application forms. Most clubs in the Carolinas are only familure with AYSO as a recreational program & they probably haven't heard the term ACT before so they wouldn't know to bump you up. Whomever filled out your form also probably was not familure with the team levels defined on the "application to host" document posted by MPSC on their web site so your group as well may not have known what level to request.

In the SCYSA, a maximum of 3 select players are permitted to be on a recreational roster and/or to play as guests on a tournament team in a recreational division. Since ACT is a select team (i.e. all the players are select players) it is not eligible to be included in recreational play. Since AYSO ACT is not part of the SCYSA (just like US Club soccer), by definition an ACT team is deemed an S4 level team and in the U10-U12 ages you should fill out your tournament application requesting Academy/Developmental play. At U13 & above, you should request classic play. This is not only in the best interest of the SCYSA recreational teams, but it is also in the best interest of your kids so that they will have to adapt to the skill side of the game. Being that you probably have your biggest, fastest, strongest kids on your ACT squads (as well you should) - if they continue to play in the recreational arena, they will succeed simply because of their physical abilities and will not have to learn to play possesion soccer and/or expand their game. The end result is that your kids will not development beyond the kick & run style because it works so well in this arena if you are simply faster / stronger than the other team, and I am sure that is not what you are trying to achieve. As Luna-Chicks inferred, get the kids in the right environment & perhaps your U10's will develop enought so that they too have to play up to find the quality of competition they need.

Good luck at your next outing. I hope some of this explains why I asked you the question I did. Didn't mean for this thread to take any other direction. PM me if you have any other questions about how the SCYSA tournaments work.

P.S. I sincerely meant the congrads & the desire for you kids to have fun playing against the USYSA teams.

I
goal
goal
I
WOW... Dude, if I go to jail, I am going to get you to be my lawyer

S
bench
bench
S
Football Coach - First of all I didn't accuse you of destroying soccer in SC but I do see your comments as non productive in trying to encourage youth to be involved in soccer, no matter what organization they choose. I checked out the website for AYSO722. Seems they are trying to develop players just as every soccer organization is trying to do. I also checked out their camp. Looks like they don't just have dad's coaching these kids. According to the camp they have professional/experienced players/coaches so why the hating on this program.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

Football Coach - First of all I didn't accuse you of destroying soccer in SC but I do see your comments as non productive in trying to encourage youth to be involved in soccer, no matter what organization they choose. I checked out the website for AYSO722. Seems they are trying to develop players just as every soccer organization is trying to do. I also checked out their camp. Looks like they don't just have dad's coaching these kids. According to the camp they have professional/experienced players/coaches so why the hating on this program.

His kid got cut

I
goal
goal
I
I am not going to continue down this path. This most likely will be my last post on this subject. (applause) 1st I wish the kids well. 2nd the adults seem to be zealous over what they are doing. May turn out good or bad, the record will do the speaking for the great stuff they are doing, or not. (Hopefully against select teams)

Why was everyone so quick to applaud Luna-Chicks? Playing up! HMMMM

still waiting on Dale Jr. to get his two cents in, or the last word...

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Quote:

Well represented, first tourney of the year, both my girls and our boys!

http://www.gotsport.com/events/resultsgrid.aspx?EventID=2780&GroupID=42270
http://www.gotsport.com/events/resultsgrid.aspx?EventID=2780&GroupID=41994

I understand why you're proud of your girls for placing 2nd and congrats to them, but why did you put your select boys team into the lowest bracket? Not only did you put them in the lowest bracket you beat a team 8-0. To do that to a true U-10 rec team disrespectful and disgraceful. Hopefully you won't sandbag the next tournament, and you'll play in the appropriate bracket.

S
bench
bench
S
From the way I understood AYSO's post both of their teams were first timers. Everything on their website was done in March so this must be a new thing for them. Maybe they didn't realize that their boys were going to compete so well. I wouldn't think a team would intentionally "sandbag" a tournamnet. Just my thought.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
There's no reason to take the best of what you can put together, and put them in a tournament for recreational teams. Even if you do you shouldn't beat a team 8-0 when the kids are only 9 & 10 years old.

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Quote:

There's no reason to take the best of what you can put together, and put them in a tournament for recreational teams. Even if you do you shouldn't beat a team 8-0 when the kids are only 9 & 10 years old.

Whose kids are 9 and 10 years old? We know ours are..heck, we have one that JUST made it, barely 8 at the time then. She's a half foot to full foot SMALLER then everyother team we faced.
And if you would have watched the u-10 boys final (while our boys were out that morning), and the one MPSC white team telling ours good luck, and watch that maroon team, that they are dirty and not worthy of playing in that bracket, you'd understand. Obviously, you weren't there, don't know the background info on these 'other' teams either. So i'll take your post for what it's worth..useless.

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Quote:

Guess we technically played up as well.
And i hope Dale Jr posts as well...my thread, so i'll make sure i have the last one.
Did Dale Jr stop racing, to start soccer here? Rednecks..racing..definetely not a mix with soccer, nevermind the beer and smoking on the way to the fields by 'star' coaches who never blossomed themselves as youth.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Well obviously all the kids were 9 and 10 being that it is a U-10 division. Ok it was actually SSC that you beat 8-0, and if the MPSC team you're reffering to is dirty and not worthy of playing in the bracket, then why did they back off on SSC and you didn't. I never personally have never heard a 10 year old say another team played dirty.

Last edited by High Flyer; 04/02/08 10:16 PM.
O
throw in
throw in
O
God, this thread is getting like a bad auto wreck. You don't want to look anymore, but you keep glancing back anyway...

Settle down folks.

soccerluvr,

I think you misunderstand what an AYSO ACT team is....

Quote:

Hi,
New here, looks like a great spot for soccer talk!
I'm with AYSO region 722 (Spartanburg area) and we have an A.C.T (advanced competition team) and pretty much practice 9 months of the year, in addition to the core season of regular play.
We are currently seeking a couple things. First, any scrimmages against other teams. I'm over the entire U-8 to U-12 goalkeepers, but our U-10 team is specifically looking for local or even within a 60 mile radius, teams to scrim against.
Also tournaments..we are doing a couple in March(Columbia and Charleston) and also a Knoxville, TN one in June.
But if anyone else can suggest where i can find any info or if anyone here is interested, please let me know.
Also working on a June-July tournament here in the local area, if we could get 10 teams or so together. Whether U-8 and up to U-19, or even just the U-8 through U-14 age group.

An ACT team is a group of players selected from the recreational teams that are in their league to play as a "super team". For example, you have 5 x U10 recreational teams. You take the top 10-11 players from the league and place them together for additional training / tournament play. The team may be "new", but some of the players probably have already been playing for half of their lives (since first season of micros).

That was the point of my original question / statement about the fairness dealing with putting them in a recreational bracket and why others are following up on this point. I wish I had just totally ignored this post, but since these guys are in my area I wanted to help guide them.

High Flyer,

I hope this was just a misunderstanding by AYSO of how the SCYSA tournaments are structured and how we handle our levels of play when they filed their level of play. I trust that it won't happen again, so this should be a dead subject.

Quote:

And i hope Dale Jr posts as well...my thread, so i'll make sure i have the last one.
Did Dale Jr stop racing, to start soccer here? Rednecks..racing..definetely not a mix with soccer, nevermind the beer and smoking on the way to the fields by 'star' coaches who never blossomed themselves as youth.

AYSO 722,

I will only defend you up to a point. I know you can't claim complete ignorance of the SCYSA structure as I explained that to you (and others in your region) in an email when you asked for scrimmages and even offered to help guide / assist you so as to make that happen. That (for everyone else's knowledge) is part of why I queried as to why you played down. Now you're taking potshots at DJ and you don't even know who that is - let alone that he hasn't even posted in this thread. Not a good way to win friends and influence people, IMHO.

I
goal
goal
I
thud, thud, there went his gloves...

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

Guess we technically played up as well.

Wow. For a guy thats just made his kids look bad, he sure is a fiesty little senorita!

And for the record, I never drink on the way to the field What I do afterwards is my business

S
bench
bench
S
Ok, so the ACT teams get additional training and what's the difference in that and other programs. I personally know of a program in the upstate that is a club (not recreation at all) that sends teams to tournaments and places them in lower brackets just to win and they know the difference in the brackets. It's also bad that this certain club from your area brags about beating a younger team from their own program. At least this guy took his team to play someone from a different program in his own age group to give his kids the experience of a tournament. Sounds like sour grapes from the people dissing on him. I agree with GSDad...the people hating must have had a kid that got cut.

S
bench
bench
S
AYSO - don't let idiotic comments spoil your tournament experience. Not all of us are that ignorant.

H
bench
bench
H
Good Morning Everyone. I have to give a big congrats!! to the ACT teams. Being first tournament and first time the kids have been together shows their kids and coaches must be doing something right. In spite of the accusations some are making on this post. I just cant hold my tongue anymore but to me is seems Football Coach seems to be a little scared or jealous of this team. So while he is ROFLing maybe he needs to get off the floor and start coaching more. Wait is he a coach? ACT teams might just need to let him hold their trophies for a little bit, seems that is all he needs. Okay with that being said FB coach if your team places I would also give you a big Congrats! without any bashing toward your team. Everyone deserves to gloat when you win tournaments. Or for that matter, deserves to gloat when your kids show your coaches what they can bring together win or not.

H
bench
bench
H
High Flyer - How can you accuse this boys team of sandbagging when they didnt win the tournament? Wow that must have made the first and second place teams SandTruckin. A little thought to your comments would show they were put in the bracket that they should have been in. If they would have went and won every game by landslides then I could understand why you would say that. But this all sounds like people ganging up on a team that deserves a little cedit for teams that played well. Is that so hard for people these days. It sure shows some people are in this for themselves not to help these kids.

Hooked #98429 04/03/08 06:48 PM
O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

High Flyer - How can you accuse this boys team of sandbagging when they didnt win the tournament?

I've spent way too much time on this thread, but as half of these posts appear to be by the AYSO 722 crowd (either the originator or people that registered in the last couple days to specifically to post in this thread), I'll try to put this in terms / language that make sense to you.

AYSO tournaments can be chartered as "open" - i.e. "we take all comers" - or "closed" - i.e. only available to currently rostered recreational teams. SCYSA tournaments are often a blend of these two - and can have various sub-levels within it. In the simplest of terms, think of the AYSO term "open tournament" to equate to "academy" and "select" in USYSA tournaments. Whether a team is new or established, "select is select" and "stacked is stacked" whether you're winning or not. When Select teams play in a bracket that is deemed to be for rec teams, people are going to get upset - period. It's a "no win" situation even if you get to take home trophies.

Let's say AYSO puts on their end of season tournament. One of the clubs in this state takes their best kids from their own recreational league, organizes them into a team, and puts them in your recreational tournament. I emphasize - not placed in an open bracket, but rather in the non-select (what you call "balanced") bracket. They end up finishing 2nd, but during this run to the final match-up they pound one of the weaker teams that didn't even score during the entire tournament 8-0. Not only would you be less than impressed that the "stacked" team didn't finish first, but I would venture to guess that the coach/parents of the rec team that got pounded by the select team would be a bit peeved that it was even in their bracket.

That is my take on the "sand-bagging", "disrespectful" and "disgraceful" comments that HyFlyer made. There is an unwritten rule that you don't beat anybody in SCYSA rec soccer by that kind of margin. Some clubs even put their own coaches on notice that they can be suspended for doing such. The AYSO ACT team put in more than half of the goals scored during the tournament against this weaker team in just that one game. That is extremely demoralizing for a group of kids that are just learning how to play. Perhaps HyFlyer is the coach of that team and is having to deal with the repercussions, perhaps not - but you guys jump on him/her because they are not impressed by you and point out things you need to know and understand to be a part of this community.

This thread was started by someone new on the board patting themselves on their back about tournament victories. I'm sorry, but I don't accept the argument that it was for the purpose of congratulating thier kids as the U10 kids are not even on this forum. It was boastful - simple as that. Far too often, adults seem to make a mess out of a kid's game when they get involved. It's not about winning, it's about playing - and playing against the appropriate opponents. Winning should never come before fun and development at this age. (Got to be careful... I feel like I'm starting to climb up on my soap box, and at my age my heart may not take that ) That's why many here are more impressed with Luna-Chicks 0-3 record versus a 3-0 record. We all know what that means long term so long as the coach keeps it fun for the girls.

I am done with this subject. I thought I was yesterday, but I thought I'd take one last stab at trying to help the AYSO crowd understand where some people are coming from. Pick apart what I've said.... Just maybe some of this will sink in. Since AYSO has claimed this thread as their's and demanded the last post, continue as you will....

Thanks for listening.

[edited to add...] So Soccerluvr reveals themself as ACT now. It was pretty transparent, but certainly nice to know I can still read between the lines.

Last edited by Obadiah 15; 04/03/08 07:29 PM.
I
goal
goal
I
well written, are you a lawyer? could be mine...

Soccerluver name change to ACT, HMMMM

L
throw in
throw in
L
I just wanted to explain why the U-9G Luna-Chicks have only played top level u-10 tournaments

1) as u-8 we played in the LSYSA u-9 division going undefeated
2) as 8's, we won the Chas United u-9/u-10 tournament division (2nd grade playing 4th)
3) as 9's (Fall 07) we played the u-9 division Sandlapper and went undefeated 65 goals for and 6 +/- against. We also only lost 1 game in crossovers in the 10 division (our new rival CUFC u-10 Black)

4) for the Spring of 08 I, as a coach, decided that 1,2,and 3 would not be beneficial to the growth of this team. So we entered the u-10 Sandlapper division. We are now 2-1-3 (one loss and 3 ties) This is what competition is about.

5) as a result, CUFC and MPSC would not play us in the middle u-10 divisions.

6) we will now play the u-9 division in 10 days at the BFA tournament. We do this only because 1) my girls need a break - playing on your heals to the size of the girls we are playing is taking a toll. and 2) Lake Norman is sending probably one of the best u-9 teams from Charlotte.

7) State cup is next - I have offered to play in either the u-9Rec, U-9 Academy or u-10 Rec.

Not a complicated plan, but with the Saurez training that we have received, EVERYONE is happy (including the parents)

98G Luna-Chicks

FYI 1/2 my team is still 8 - - All are u-9
WE ARE A TRUE REC TEAM IN THE LAND OF ACADEMY -
(guilty of coaching a team since u-5 as charged)

C
Goal
Goal
C
I'm not sure how everybody defines a "REC" team. I'm a rec team coach. My team is selected by the rec department. I have no say as to my players. I'm given a roster by the rec department and told to go at it.

Is that how it works with the chicks or do you select your players?

L
throw in
throw in
L
We are a small club 1 or 2 teams per gender per age group.

We only have 2 u-9 girl teams, 1 u-10G team and 1 u-11G team
A little larger on the boys side

Top that with I am a Dad = volunteer

Every once in a while a special group comes around.

H
bench
bench
H
Obadiah - each comment you have made you have made a respectable point in a manner that doesnt seem to offend people and most can respect. For that I appreciate very much. I dont think I would have even commented in this post had 2 of the people not just jumped in with negative comments towards a great organization. They were not repecting the fact he/she was expressing excitment when the truth of the matter is they were just taking bad jabs at an organization. IN my opionion this individual was proud of their accomplishments and a little confidence goes a long ways with kids and coaches. These 2 that threw uneeded jabs did not want to hear anything positive about AYSO teams they just wanted to put the organization out of jealousy. I still think AYSO ought to be commended for the kids they took to the tournament.

I dont mean to pick apart your post I just want to make another comment without taking away from what you say. Honestly in yours and others opinions is it more degrading for the parents and kids to have the opposing team dribbling back and forth for the whole half of the game making the other team look terrible never touching the ball. I see that way to often and it irritates me to no end. I have seen some dribble down stop the ball in front of the goal then turn around and run back leaving the ball there. I feel it would be better to the players to have them score on you than have them just make you look like first time players out there.

Now you say it seems like a bunch of AYSO people out there but it is not about that. It about FB Coach just jumping in this starting the bashing "ROFLing" and then say he is not going down this road anymore.That is very cowardly to jab and run. And then just opening the door for JR to come in and say bad things. So really, who is making this an ugly thread?

I support ALL kids playing soccer. Unfortunately our area has become Organization vs. organization. Too bad it has to come to that. I honestly wish the best of luck to EVERY team out there. What happened to kids just having fun? It only takes a couple to ruin it.

Thanks

Hooked #98435 04/03/08 08:38 PM
S
bench
bench
S
Just to get a rise out of you.

S
bench
bench
S
Congrats AYSO on your performace @ your first tournament, and also on your new ACT program. Sounds like the competition is getting worried. Keep up the good work.

S
bench
bench
S
Oh, that last post was for Obadiah.

I
goal
goal
I
If you read other threads and other sections, running the score up gets lots of replies. You will see being boastful also gets a lot of replies. This thread started by someone telling themselves they did a good job, and upon investigation, the teams really did poorly versus equal comp, but ran the score up on real rec teams. Kind of a triple dip, of political incorrectness. I am pretty good at that myself.

Your group will do well in the Section 5 games, congrats on that ahead of time...

For fun see how many replies this thread has generated versus number of views, and how many new posters have came in to defend... kind of funny, welcome to the game

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
What I don't understand is why so many people made s/n just for this thread. I don't understand how you say we threw bad jabs when we were correct in everything we said.

Quote:

I'm not sure how everybody defines a "REC" team. I'm a rec team coach. My team is selected by the rec department. I have no say as to my players. I'm given a roster by the rec department and told to go at it.

Lowcountry Attack is correct when he defines a REC team. A REC team doesn't have tryouts, and normally it's a group of kids wanting to have fun. They're normally not training like SELECT teams, and they tend to be all about fun. So by def. the AYSO ACT team isn't a REC team. If you took the best 11 players out of a REC league, you would probally play the SELECT teams close or beat them. Their is no reason for the "elite" of one REC league to play a low end REC team. I can understand it was their first tournament so you don't put them in a SELECT bracket, but if you don't put them in a SELECT bracket put them in the highest REC bracket.

And Hooked- F.Y.I. Just because they didn't win the tournament, doesn't mean they didn't sandbagg. Think about it if you take the best players off the three best teams in a REC league, and you play one of the bottom three teams in the league you would easily beat that team. That is the equilavent of an AYSO ACT team playing in the BOTTOM REC bracket.

I
goal
goal
I
soccerluvr now thinks it better to protect the program, name switch back to soccerluvr instead of ACT, funny stuff

need a playing card to keep up with the AYSO admin covering their rear

just looked at your website, why does the coaches section of ACT say coming soon, posted 3/8/2008? think we would laugh or what, or too busy making names up for this thread? still ROFLing, no boo boo's yet either

S
bench
bench
S
Football coach - obviously you didn't read my last post. Try to keep up. Just having fun with Obadiah since you guys evidently have something going with this ACT thing.

S
bench
bench
S
I actually just heard about this site from a friend in your area. Evidently there's no respect there.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Quote:

Football coach - obviously you didn't read my last post. Try to keep up. Just having fun with Obadiah since you guys evidently have something going with this ACT thing.

I'm not to quick to believe that, being that you obviously created your s/n just for this thread. You joined just yesterday, and all of your posts are in this thread.

S
bench
bench
S
By the way, don't know how many of you are interested in the US Women's National team but they're coming to Cary, NC.

S
bench
bench
S
Hello...I have friends there you know.

S
bench
bench
S
Just to make you feel better High Flyer since everyone seems paranoid. I have also been to the Wade Hampton post yesterday and just haven't commented yet. Being originally from that area (Greer) I hate seeing a team get beat that bad.

S
bench
bench
S
Oh and High Flyer, you're not a veteran yourself joining on 3/7

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Yeah, but I also didn't creat my s/n just for this thread.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
One quick question, who's paranoid and what are they paranoid about?

S
bench
bench
S
Well, this is the thread my friend sent me so why wouldn't I create it here. Now I understand why he talks about soccer down there like he does.

S
bench
bench
S
I think the people on here but I couldn't answer the what about.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Ok being as you are confusing me and I don't know what you're talking about this should be my last post on this thread....

S
bench
bench
S
So, High Flyer...are you from that area or what and is this the norm there for different soccer groups?

S
bench
bench
S
Ok, now I'm confused...lol What are you confused about?

S
bench
bench
S
If it's about my statement of people being paranoid, I said that because Football Coach thinks people are changing their names to cover a program or something like that.

S
bench
bench
S
Come back High Flyer...I'll stop confusing you.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
I don't understand how this thread got so out of wack and going every which way. This whole discussion is about why are the 'elite' REC teams playing the low end REC teams. Bottom line is it is unfair to all real REC teams to take a 'super team' into their bracket. Their is no reason for an SELECT (AYSO ACT) team to play in the bottom bracket for REC teams.

AYSO tournaments can be chartered as "open" - i.e. "we take all comers" - or "closed" - i.e. only available to currently rostered recreational teams. SCYSA tournaments are often a blend of these two - and can have various sub-levels within it. In the simplest of terms, think of the AYSO term "open tournament" to equate to "academy" and "select" in USYSA tournaments. Whether a team is new or established, "select is select" and "stacked is stacked" whether you're winning or not. When Select teams play in a bracket that is deemed to be for rec teams, people are going to get upset - period. It's a "no win" situation even if you get to take home trophies.

Let's say AYSO puts on their end of season tournament. One of the clubs in this state takes their best kids from their own recreational league, organizes them into a team, and puts them in your recreational tournament. I emphasize - not placed in an open bracket, but rather in the non-select (what you call "balanced") bracket. They end up finishing 2nd, but during this run to the final match-up they pound one of the weaker teams that didn't even score during the entire tournament 8-0. Not only would you be less than impressed that the "stacked" team didn't finish first, but I would venture to guess that the coach/parents of the rec team that got pounded by the select team would be a bit peeved that it was even in their bracket.

Obadiah was right when he said you'd be angry and unimpressed if someone did this to you. So why is it different situation just because AYSO sandbagged, and not someone else. Bottom line is it's not and their no reason to be bragging for doing this.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Want to see how everyone feels:

Should SELECT teams play in the bottom REC division?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/03/08 04:00 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Quote:

So, High Flyer...are you from that area or what and is this the norm there for different soccer groups?

Yes I am from the area, and no it is not normall for teams to sandbagg and embarass REC teams, and then brag about it.

S
bench
bench
S
I actually meant all the hostility...lol

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Oh ok then, normally only between rival clubs and when bragging starts. Some people can't stand it, and some people love doing it so it ends up hostile every once in a while.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Holy smokes... What has been going on while I was out?

I guess this is one way for people to get their post counts up

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Quote:

Quote:

This thread was started by someone new on the board patting themselves on their back about tournament victories. I'm sorry, but I don't accept the argument that it was for the purpose of congratulating thier kids as the U10 kids are not even on this forum. It was boastful - simple as that. Far too often, adults seem to make a mess out of a kid's game when they get involved. It's not about winning, it's about playing - and playing against the appropriate opponents.

Wow, you are completely wrong, and now have lost any respect i had for you. My son, wife and couple other friends of the kids tourney team have come or came to these forums. THAT POST (#1 if you've forgotten) was DEDICATED to my daughter, as well as her team. I gave the kudos the boys, yes.
I grew up in California, playing AYSO, Select and Club soccer. Moved to Washington state, played Select and ODP.
I can say that AYSO was the best thing, and i committed to play collegiate level. Other things got in the way, didn't work out. But for those things that got in the way, i now have 3 great kids, that love soccer. And, no, it's not about winning..and your wrong again, it's not ALL about playing, but playing as a team, and honing one's skills and going after what they want in this great sport.
I'm done here, with these forums, and the few people i've gotten associated with. Not the group, nor the 'coaches and players' i had in mind.
See you on the field.

Hooked #98464 04/04/08 12:41 AM
O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Obadiah - each comment you have made you have made a respectable point in a manner that doesnt seem to offend people and most can respect. For that I appreciate very much....

Your welcome & thanks to you too. Isn't it nice when people can get along

I know I said I was going to give AYSO 722 or ACT the last post, but you put some of that irrestible bait on that "hook" of yours to bring me back . That's not fair.

As an aside... Sorry ACT/soccerluvr et al, looks like you may need to wait for a bit longer to get that last post in. I do believe that the post you made for me (while be it umteen pages ago) was meant to be light hearted anyway, so I really would have let it stand. Trust me on that one

Back to topic...

Anyway, with all the side jibber-jabber going on the following will probably get lost so I'll type as fast as I can - please forgive my spelling mistakes. Since you asked a good question, I'll give another shot at trying to be a constructive in this thread.

Quote:

is it more degrading for the parents and kids to have the opposing team dribbling back and forth for the whole half of the game making the other team look terrible never touching the ball

That is a question that we all battle or have battled (especially at the rec level). It won't happen to you (as much) when you move your teams up to academy play, but you still have to be on the look out for the pending mismatch. It has a multitude of solutions - none of which is perfect and is guarenteed to work in every game situation. Sometimes nothing may work, but you as the coach have to be able to read what is on the pitch and take responsiblity to adjust appropriately as quickly as possible. Some coaches are better than others at pulling this off well. It does take experience and sometimes a williness to give up a goal or two in the process, but long term it is well worth it. If you're really serious about getting answers to this question, it's been discussed many times on this forum and you can search for some solutions posted by others, but I'll list a few here that are U10 specific...

Put your weakest players in scoring position.... Duh, I know... pretty obvious, but I have to start somewhere. (I'm typing this off the top of my head). Be aware that sometimes this simply won't work well by itself (especially on select teams) because the whole group may be very capable of putting the ball in the net quite well.

Limit the kids touches.... Don't just dribble back & forth, but rather make the kids pass to a team mate as quickly as possible after they get control of the ball. (maybe one or two touches to control, find a team mate, and get rid of the ball). At U10, lots of passes will be errant & get picked off by the opposing team - that's OK and goes a long way to helping keep the blow out from occuring. Use the opportunity to teach the kids to concentrate on "playing the way they face" and build-up out of the back. Drop back to a single forward & post them up as a target forward (playing back to goal) and distribute back out of the center of the field wide. As the kids get better, you'll probably also have to add...

Use the "off foot" on shots and/or passes.... If the players are right footed, restrict them to using their left foot as much as possible (or vice-versa). It's a great way for them to build up their skill sets and increase their dimensionality (is that a word?) as all around players.

There are lots of other methods out there to add to this, (scoring on headers only, shots from outside the 18, etc) but the real trick is recognizing early that you are on the upper end of a mismatch, and knowing the age appropriate methods to adjust for the situation.

I was trying to think about examples I've used and seen, and I've got to tell you about one of the best ever I have seen pulled off well. It was this season - and no... I can't take credit for it.

My hat goes off to the CSC Chargers team that plays in the CESA U14-G development league. We have a brand new team of girls new to our group this season (some of who have never played before) & we had to play CSC our very first game. CSC is a VERY good team (read that as "select quality") - well coached with highly skilled players. They put in 2 or 3 goals so fast on us it would make your head spin. Their coach recognized immediately the pending disaster, made the appropriate adjustments and the game finished 5-0 (one from a set play) with our girls having multiple opportunities on goal - and no one but the experienced around the field were any the wiser about what happened. CSC was able to work on stuff they probably normally just practice with, and our girls came off the field all smiles having learned many things themselves about space and positioning they hadn't yet grasped. Had CSC kept the pedal to the metal, our girls probably wouldn't have wanted to go back out for the 2nd half and I expect some would not want to continue to learn the game at all. That CSC group / coach earned both my gratitude and respect for how they handled this. We play them again in a few weeks, and I look forward to the rematch to see what our girls have learned since that last outing.

Bottom line, it CAN be done. You just have to forget about winning and think about development.

O
throw in
throw in
O
I will not argue and I'm sorry you feel that way, but I will question the wisdom of directing 9 & 10 year olds to a public, high school soccer forum.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Here... I'll brag on the two new teams in our rec girls program I mentioned above. Feel free to make your comments....

Today was an optional practice day for these girls as it's spring break. It was a really busy day at work & I lost track of time & didn't notice the weather. I stepped outside a little before 4 pm and OMG.... It's spring break, it's cold, it's raining - just simply miserable - and practice starts at 4:30 pm. Since some of our select teams might have "big games" this weekend and the rain looked like it might break by 5:30 pm, I had to post on the weather line "the fields aren't closed, but you'll need to make your own decision about practice." So, I went to the fields with one of our coaches anyway. At 4:30 there were some pretty hard showers coming down. Can you believe 8 carloads of girls showed up between 4:30 & 4:45 for practice? I was absolutely blown away as I really couldn't see anyone wanting to get out in this stuff.

The enthusiam and attitude shown by these young ladies really impresses me - and mind you probably 1/2 of these girls have never played soccer on a team before (at least that's what they tell me). The younger team's record is probably 50:50 now after dropping our first 2 games (maybe better) and the older team has yet to win their first game - but they keep coming, training, and are definately improving (night & day difference from the first weeks at practice). Their smiles and gratitude makes this all worth while, and to me that's worth more than a whole case of trophies 10 feet tall.

Go get 'em Lady Dogs.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
That's great that your girls are willing to come out even with those weather conditions. I wish your U-14 good luck, and as long as they still have that attitude they will eventually win one. Congrats to your U-12 team for being 50:50 after a 0-2 start, and some of them never playing before. Good Luck Dogs.

H
bench
bench
H
FB Coach - first off if you keep throwing these name swops out there then it is very easy to see your name swops throughout the threads. So dont even go there, need I bring out in open? Also, if you are going to throw stones at any coach trying to help kids develop then maybe you should take a look at your own. Sitting in cars, getting out smoking on the way to the fields. Trying to teach a team by playing ball tag. Hmmmm alot of strength building in that. I know maybe if the ACT team would have their coaches be at half of the practices like yours do then we could have the young kids come out there and play ball tag to kill time. I wonder if that would work for them too? Well from what I have seen it sure hasnt helped your team any. You know I dont even like going there but you bring it on yourself. Okay maybe a I am little grouchy in the mornings but the truth hurts.

Hooked #98469 04/04/08 10:36 AM
H
bench
bench
H
Obidiah - Like I said before I do appreciate your input on the post. However, FB Coach and High Flyer do not have the same intentions as you. They are here to bring themselves up not what this game is truly about. So I hope you have a good day and I am going to have to agree with AYSO and not allow these indivuduals to bring me down to their levels.

AYSO - keep on moving forward with your ACT teams. Dont allow anyone to bring you down. Some of these people seem to know more about how you created your teams then you do. So without really knowing they have no right to put your teams down. From what you say on this last weekend, sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Keep the kids interested, keep them active and keep on coaching because with those stats you have built a strong team that sounds like will be competing with all in the future. And that is what it is about. Kids having opportunities to compete and learn a new respect for the the game. Win or not you have got to get them playing time against kids their own age, level and the interaction with competition builds them strong. So next time you see your kids go out of your way to tell them how proud you are of them and keep on encouraging.

H
bench
bench
H
FB Coach - Let me first start by saying sorry for getting ugly in my posts. I dont mean to allow myself stoop to yalls levels. But be aware when you just put people down all it is doing is reflecting yourself especially when everyone knows who everyone is. Honestly, I wish you and your teams the best of luck. I hope you and HFlyer can work out your own God inferior attitudes and find it in your hearts to get back in this thing for the kids we originally do this kind of stuff for anyhow. I agree with Obidiah I try not to get involved in this subject anymore but something keeps pulling me back in. I am honestly going to try and stay out of this. Good Luck!

Hooked #98471 04/04/08 11:25 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Just hit the edit button and erase it if you wish to take it back. FB is a hard knocks club/Boiling Springs HS guy. Somewhere down deep I'm sure he means well.

H
bench
bench
H
Club might be but he is certainly not. I need to learn to use the edit I just cant make myself do it

Hooked #98473 04/04/08 01:55 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Beats posting and then apologizing right after

H
bench
bench
H
Probably right,it was more of an appology with intent

Hooked #98475 04/04/08 02:33 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Either way, glad to have you on the board.

I
goal
goal
I
Word of the day Hubris...

bench
bench
This has been a very interesting discussion. It appears that the ACT Team is an attempt to start another soccer club in Spartanburg. The only difference is you aren't registering your players with the SCYSA.

What level of certification do your coaches have? It is not listed on your website.

I
goal
goal
I
WOW, what a great first post...

S
SC2 Offline
bench
bench
S
Hi all. New to the boards but good grief.

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

This has been a very interesting discussion. It appears that the ACT Team is an attempt to start another soccer club in Spartanburg. The only difference is you aren't registering your players with the SCYSA.

What level of certification do your coaches have? It is not listed on your website.

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Quote:

I played and coached both AYSO and Select, Southern California and then in Washington state, anywhere from U-6 up to Junior H.S(8th grade team).
At the moment, i'm not even coaching, in regards to ACT. Daughter just plays on it. I've always done core season, and also head up beginner to advanced goalkeeper training to anyone and anywhere.

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Quote:

I will not argue and I'm sorry you feel that way, but I will question the wisdom of directing 9 & 10 year olds to a public, high school soccer forum.

Here, a bit of help to you, maybe understand this.

1.) Google.com.
2.) South Carolina Soccer, type in search box.
3.) 4th link down, main page of SCSoccer.com.
4.) I saw the message board, FIRST thing, down on the left. Sure, i should have read a bit, but also work with older kids as well, so thus, i decided to look around, and then post.
5.) I have a stepson, 17 yrs old, hoping to play for Florida Southern. He also views the threads and interest we all have.
6.) My other son, the 11 yr old, views occasionally. Or did.
7.) No one said here i was directing 9 and 10 yr olds to view this. But it was still directed at the team, the group, and parents associated with not only ACT, but other programs as well as the local communities represented.

I
goal
goal
I
You sound like a good coach for the kids... volunteers with skills are hard to come by. The kids are lucky to have someone who has this much exposure to the game being on the practice field with them. Your resume' is atypical though. I hate you jumped into this and got your LD50 the second time into the posts. You really can tell that a lot of the high school coaches (Dale Jr, etc) really care about what they are doing, and the kids they are coaching.

I just have a hard time with kids who are training like crazy, and are on a select team thinking they are tearing it up, with the results for ACT thus far. Winning, tying and even losing can be fun... but if the kids are going to invest this much time hopefully they can play at the right level. I was kind of pointed on my first comments on purpose so no one could take this thread and use it for propaganda, which was already happening. The cold hard truth the ACT experiment has delivered a 50:50 result and a very high percentage of the wins and ties are versus rec teams. NOT FAIR... nor praise worthy... Sorry I lead you into any pain, greif, or whatever but the kids long term aspirations and dreams will be forstalled by staying in their current model. The High Schools all of Region II are loaded, and if the kids want to play high school, they have to get to a club. Any club, but a club, with a staff of coaches who were college players, coaches, professionals and with real recognized licensces. Within driving of 722 there are 4 clubs that can deliver the goods for their kids, and those who really want to compete. The ACT program is too much of an in between deal trying to play competitively, putting the time in but skipping a key component, the coaches. Someone was posting some vial things about a coach, nobody is sacred or perfect. Every club will have people they will have to deal with, from time to time. I can verify, we try to do it right. Issues are dealt with, when known.

I really do wish all the kiddies well, and the coaches. The thing is you can pick club players out on the fields of SCHS soccer fields. They have control, skill and desire. I just hope that all the kids who are putting in 9 months get the first two. Desire, that is all on the kid.

The children of this group, the leaders themselves, have the ability if properly trained to be assets for their high school, but alas, there are about 15 club players going for 2 varsity spots next year. So, if they want to gamble their own childrens High School career for an ideal, an experiment, they can. Not me I am taking my kid to ODP practice. sorry... I wish you luck, you just stepped into a lot, and I mean a lot of History.

Thanks for responding, I wish the question the ponytail lady brought up would be really thought about if not answered. Yours in soccer...

A
bench
OP Offline
bench
A
Thanks FC, think the current level of coaching i've seen since last summer is enough to teach the kids well.
Now, maybe the ponytail lady who created an account and posted once for this thread can ask any other questions...i'd be happy to answer.

goal kick
goal kick
Oh My God! Nine year old soccer players who are not registered with SCYSA? This must be stopped!

bench
bench
AYSO 722 person, I am very happy to hear that you played soccer. But if you are coaching you still need to be trained to coach. The SCYSA puts on excellent training provided by local College coaches. You should look into this if you haven't already. And I apologize if you already are.

Again, I ask why ACT? We have soccer clubs in Spartanburg that already offer select programs. It spreads Spartanburg resources out further and it will affect our performances playing against other teams in the state.

Did you realize that CESA has over 40 boys just in the U10 boys recreational group and it is the same for the girls. They also have another group playing at the higher academy level. Spartanburg soccer has a long way to go.

I
goal
goal
I
this whole deal is like a car accident, nobody wants to see one, but they can not stop looking. 200 views in two days, as LeGrazie, is screaming stop the madness.

Unfortunetly, it is not only about nine year olds, they are attempting the same thing at higher ages. Over time their group has gotten smaller and smaller above U12, where they have to play 13 and 17 year olds on the same team. I even here boys and girls together, but I do not know that for a fact. I am sure it is an attempt to keep these kids, longer.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard