Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
F
goal kick
goal kick
F
I have to jump in and say that I scored my first goal of my high school career in Wando's 12-0 victory over Stall High School. (Long before Adidas Kitten's time).

I was working my butt off trying to play well even in the final minutes of the game. The coach was in his first season and had very little experience in girl's soccer in the Lowcountry. At the beginning he relied very heavily on the more well-known players and upper classmen regardless and did not seem to re-evaluate the talent on the roster. I felt like every minute I got in the game I had something to prove to the coach because I thought I deserved more playing time then some of the people ahead of me. I wanted to show him and the rest of the team and parents that I had the skills, motivation, etc to be able to play at that level. I wasn't thinking about the other team at all.

Just an anecdote from over a decade ago, but I wanted to put it out there.

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

I have to jump in and say that I scored my first goal of my high school career in Wando's 12-0 victory over Stall High School. (Long before Adidas Kitten's time).

I was working my butt off trying to play well even in the final minutes of the game. The coach was in his first season and had very little experience in girl's soccer in the Lowcountry. At the beginning he relied very heavily on the more well-known players and upper classmen regardless and did not seem to re-evaluate the talent on the roster. I felt like every minute I got in the game I had something to prove to the coach because I thought I deserved more playing time then some of the people ahead of me. I wanted to show him and the rest of the team and parents that I had the skills, motivation, etc to be able to play at that level. I wasn't thinking about the other team at all.

I think we have all been there. Club especially, I remember wanting to prove to my coach that I deserved more time and that I was better than he thought. You can sometimes get caught in the moment and not realize that you are hurting the other team so much.

World Cup
World Cup
Very, very true.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Obviously this post has been ongoing for quite a while with 10 pages of posts.

Double digit scores happen in soccer (especially highschool soccer ) all of the time because of the huge disparity in talent and emphasis on the sport.

That said, there are just some scores that are not justifiable.

Probably the most glaring sporting score of the year is the 17-0 score of the Ben Lippen vs Augusta Christian girls soccer match.

That is a worse score than any of the beatings that Calhoun County's basketball team put on their inferior opponents in the last couple of years.

It is VERY easy to play the game of soccer correctly without scoring once the score is over 10-0.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think we have all been there. Club especially, I remember wanting to prove to my coach that I deserved more time and that I was better than he thought. You can sometimes get caught in the moment and not realize that you are hurting the other team so much.

My issue with this logic is that it is not up to the kids to realize that they are hurting the other team. I have no fault with the kids in this instance. The fault is with the coaches. It is their job and their responsibility to contol what happens on the field.

It is simple for a coach to control the way the kids play the game.

K
throw in
throw in
K
Quote:

I have no fault with the kids in this instance. The fault is with the coaches. It is their job and their responsibility to contol what happens on the field.

It is simple for a coach to control the way the kids play the game.

I disagree. While, yes, some blame can be with the coaches, the players are just as guilty. The coach doesn't dribble through five players and blast it past the keeper...nope, that was #11. The coach doesn't score 4 goals in fifteen minutes...nope, that was #25. The coach doesn't dribble up to the keeper just to turn around and pass it back to someone in the midfield...nope, that was #4. Random numbers, but do you see my point? The coach can run those players all he wants to after the game but that won't change the game...

If the coach is to blame for anything in this matter, it's not drilling in his/her players the importance of sportsmanship. That's a lesson you can't quite grasp in a half-time speech...and that's the difference between an obviously more-skilled team scoring 6 or 7 versus scoring 15 or 16.

I completely understand how it feels to go 8 games without winning and then, in the 9th game, have the opportunity to score 15 goals on a team. In that ninth game, my team scored 7 on our opponents and stopped...and, y'know, it didn't take our coach telling us that night to stop scoring when we did. We knew.

K
throw in
throw in
K
Oh, and something I picked up recently...

"You can't teach your players a lesson if all you do is make excuses for them when they screw up."

brace
brace
Can't let the animals run the zoo.

I have yet to have a player score from the bench. It is absolutely within the power of every coach to limit the amount of goals a player scores. If 3 is the rule, it is amazing how they start passing after two to make sure that 3rd doesn't cut their playing time off. It really creates players who work together, and they look for that kid who hasn't scored when the game is 2-0 or 3-0 instead of 15-0.

Very few soccer games are won after someone is down 3-0, and in reality almost none after 2-0. If the zookeeper lets all of the animals know the rules, and puts them in the proper place in the zoo to keep the rules in place, the zoo runs pretty well.

Don't send me a bunch of emails about animal rights, "players aren't animals", etc. Please.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Don't send me a bunch of emails about animal rights, "players aren't animals", etc. Please.

I've alerted Greenpeace as to your whereabouts.

brace
brace
OK, change that to "Don't let the Martians run the planet."

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard