Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
K
throw in
throw in
K
Quote:

Don't send me a bunch of emails about animal rights, "players aren't animals", etc. Please.

No worries about that...if someone referred to any of my teammates as anything BUT animals, I'd be a little disappointed.

On a more serious note, my point is that players have the same responsibilities as coaches do in respecting other teams. When a TEAM (coach[es] and players) scores 17 on their opponent, the lack of sportsmanship lies with the players as well as the coaches...not just one or the other.

brace
brace
Absolutely agree.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
We've had a lot of conversation in this thread lately about players doing the right thing without having to be told to...in that light, I have to give a nod of respect to the Stratford High varsity girls.

In the first half of our game last night, I had a freshman player go down hard with a twisted knee. She hit the ground, rolled to protect the leg, and didn't move, but no whistle. The center official acknowledged that she was there but continued play. She stayed there, still not moving, and still no whistle; the ball changed hands a couple of times, and finally everyone, Berkeley and Stratford alike, just stopped. The center ref actually told them to go get the ball, that it was still in play, but the Stratford girls still stopped to acknowledge the player down. Finally one of my girls had the presence of mind to kick the ball out to stop play.

Now, at this point in the game, the score was still 1-0 and the match was very much up for grabs. The injury happened while attacking Stratford's goal, and play remained on the Stratford defensive third. They took a risk by not continuing to go hard for the ball, but it was the right thing to do, they all realized it, and they did it--not because they were told to stop, but even though they were told by the official NOT to stop. They even went as far as to return the ball to us on the throw-in.

I think this is a credit to the character of these young ladies and their coaches, and proof that players can and do make the right decisions, even in the heat of competition, with our without adult intervention. My hat's off, SHS ladies and coaches; you played a great game last night in all aspects, and you deserved your win.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
Very cool, lady Stratfords.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard