Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
corner kick
corner kick
What does running up the score prove? If it is a region match, you have to take into account goal differential. But, again, what are you trying to prove by running up the score? If you want to cut down the scoring, put subs in, move people around to different positions, put restrictions on how to score, put restrictions on how many passes your team has to make on each 1/2 of the field before going to goal.

Now...who is to say that Greer's opponent didn't try to do this?

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
hat-trick
hat-trick
The answer, as Mr. Heise recommended for the boys years ago, is soccer-specific classification with promotion/relegation. This would mean fewer lopsided games, at least within classification. But as we all know, this most likely will never happen in the SCHSL.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Is goal differential really the tie breaker for the tournament? That is horrible.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...If it is a region match, you have to take into account goal differential...

What difference does goal differential make in region matches? Do any regions use soccer-specific tie breakers such as goal differential? My experience has been that they use the same tie-breakers for all sports.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
And what is that tie breaker?

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Is goal differential really the tie breaker for the tournament? That is horrible.

I'm not sure what you mean by "for the tournament". But I think it would be great to use goal differential, with a limit of 3 per game, to break ties in region standings. It sure beats a coin toss which is what happen to a team I was associated with 3 years ago. It's my understanding that each region decides its own standings' tie breakers and that they are the same for all sports.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
tie breaker for seeding for the tournamnet (i.e. 2 teams tie at 7 - 3 in the region and went 1-1 against each other, what is the next tiebreaker?)

hat-trick
hat-trick
So you were referring to a tie in the region standings? And by tournament, you are referring to the SCHSL playoffs? So the tie breaker determines who makes the playoffs and where they fit in the brackets. As I said, I believe these tie breakers can be different for each region and are the same in that region for all sports. They typically include things like head-to-head competition, non-region record, and even coin-tosses and play-in games. It just depends on what region you are in.

World Cup
World Cup
Goals allowed in conference play is what Region 1 did. I don't care too much for goals for. Encourages the running up.

S
bench
bench
S
I don't think any team tries to "run up" the score- unless they absolutely have it out for a team - which in most cases is simply a competitive rivalry where the scores never get close to a 17 goal lead. The problem occurs when coaches sub in the bench late and expect the players not to play to their fullest. Early on, there are things a coach can do- put restrictions on scoring (only off a cross, use your weakest foot etc.). If not done early, a game can get away form you and 3 goals can be scored while you are waiting to sub. It is up to the coach to put these restrictions on to avoid humiliation for the other team, while also challenging his or her players. It is also important to teach players about good sportsmanship and proper etiquette. The players themselves,should have enough compassion for the other team not to become selfish and lose sight of what is happening. How good can it really feel to score the 17th goal on a team that has nothing on the board? I only hope coaches don't encourage running the score up.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard