Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
Does anyone know how much time was left when the Greer goalie got injured and what the score was? This is tragic if the game was already out of hand!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Absolutely crazy that there isn't a uniform tie-breaker for the state and that each region chooses it's own.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Absolutely crazy that there isn't a uniform tie-breaker for the state and that each region chooses it's own.

...and a uniform method for selecting all region players.

S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
I agree that it should be uniform! How are they selected today?

World Cup
World Cup
Some vote, some get allotted amounts based on region finish

Cat #98513 04/02/08 06:01 PM
brace
brace
Keep up the spirits. Good things come to those who stick with it.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
Hope your goalie is OK.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
WHS' coaches are experienced enough to know each opponents' strength prior to kickoff. It is common knowledge that teams like Greer, Union, and some others have no or very few club players and are not (yet) competitive with schools loaded with club players. Going into such games, I would therefore expect the coaches to have all subs in the starting line up for 80 minutes and instruct all their players to use the weaker foot only. All of a sudden, you will see their own limitations.
Additional restrictions are not too difficult to think of (scoring off a header only, scoring from outside the 18yd box, playing numbers down, ...). Perhaps WHS was not confident enough that they could beat Greer under such circumstances?
Kudos to Greer for trying to keep a game going and not packing all 11 players in their 18yd box. YOU have our respect.

corner kick
corner kick
I'm interested to hear what, or if, the WHS coaches did to try to keep the score down. It is possible to keep scoring even when you do take precautions against it, but it's infinitely easier when you don't. I recall one Wando game where the coach had us step girls off until we had 8 on the field, required x amount of passes before you could shoot, could only score on headers, weak foot, from outside the 18, off a cross, etc. And this was after playing the defenders up top and with most of the subs for most of the game.

I have no idea what the end score of that game was, but I think I remember it being over 11-0 Wando even with our "scoring" rules and lower numbers. I can't say whether or not doing such things is insulting to the other team or not because, thankfully, I was never in the position to find out, but unless the game automatically ends after a certain number of goals, something should be done to prevent scores of 15-20 or worse which will statistically happen otherwise.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
S
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
S
There is an initial posting on under "Wade Hampton Soccer" from a WHHS parent who apologized for what was not their decision. It is a shame that their goalie got hurt in the process. Hope she is OK? Does anyone know how she is doing?

"To all the Greer Girls Soccer players and coaches. I was a parent at the game last night and please accept my apology for our team putting 17 goals on you. This is no way a reflection of how some of the parents feel and please accept our apology. Sportmanship is the number one priority. We did not show any sportmanship last night. I do applaud your girls for completing the game and please tell the girls to keep their heads up. It takes time to build a program and the teams who happen to be superior on that night need to show some some respect to the other programs."

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard