Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
D
dew Offline
bench
bench
D
No they do not have to state a name, but it sheds much clearer light on the topic.

Go back and read what others posted and you will have the reason the example was given. People were asking what happened. 9 different players scored and rules were given by the coach.

No distraction other than you defending a Blue Ridge 13-0 score against Berea a non region game that I doubt Berea scheduled. Who wanted that big win in their column?

Running up a score is running up a score. Unless in your book 13-0 is not running up a score.

R
bench
bench
R
If you look at other scores against Greer such as the Riverside and Eastside games, two very strong teams neither went that high in the scoring. I think EHS was a little high with 12 and you can say that RHS was high as well with 8 but if two skilled teams such as these can keep it down why can't a team like WHHS? It seems as though they were trying to prove something. I know that RHS and EHS both put restrictions on shots and then cut them off completely eventually. Also, cutting the game early has been done as well. For the second half you just never start the scoreboard clock so fans can't tell and go on with a shortened half. There is no good way to deal with that situation but a 17-0 game is definitely not the answer!

throw in
throw in
I wonder if Riverside were to take the same approach tonight and let all their players score at will, what do you think the score would be?

I would think 22-0. Would WHHS think this would be appropriate. Fact is, this would be possible.

Riverside has more class, would not happen.

Soccer is a game you just have to love!!!!
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I wonder if Riverside were to take the same approach tonight and let all their players score at will, what do you think the score would be?

I would think 22-0. Would WHHS think this would be appropriate. Fact is, this would be possible.

Agreed

brace
brace
Just a thought. . .this is an often-argued topic.

Take a few minutes. Go to the scoreboard, and pick some of the top programs. Glance through the past several years. There are some really fine programs with some really high scores.

I am not justifying the high scores. I witnessed one school for a few years schedule weak teams three and four times EACH season to allow the "best" player to tally 8, 9, 10 goals in each of those matches. . .

I also have posted that I think high school soccer should be leagues based on quality of the programs, not classifications—with relegation, moving up, etc.

But any argument against running up the scores should have context. Look at the facts of scores. . .

8-0, 10-0, 12-0. . .not uncommon by the best programs in the state with top-notch coaches and players.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
dew #98533 04/03/08 08:16 PM
brace
brace
Let's get something straight - I am not blasting the WH Coach nor did I. It was obvious that they kept scoring and it is definitely possible that it could not be helped.

I have great respect for him. My daughter played for him, and he taught her a great deal about killer instinct and playing for blood, as well as soccer, and being on a team. He is a friend. His family would be considered friends by my family. Actually, my daughter is friends with almost all of the WH girls.

Their coach is one of the fiercest competitors I have ever met or known, and he would take that as a complete compliment and nothing else. He plays to win, and has never held a score down. He downs add "rules" like 10 passes, etc. but historically scores very high against weaker teams. I respect that.

Don't put words in my mouth. And don't tell me what I think.

Also, you may want to get your facts straight. We have never played Berea as far as I know. We has a scrimmage earlier with 4 own goals and several balls that were just passed to the front area and went into the goal. That team has a new goalie, new forwards, and has changed the way it plays. It wasn't Berea.

Also, loved your "recap" of the WH - Greer game. "Pulled everyone out with 5 minutes gone and the score 5-0". In case you missed it, the 3 leading scorers for WH had both 3-4 goals and 3-4 assists each. Maybe they did it from their own 18, but probably not.

There are two rules of thought on scoring in lopsided games. One is to kill the opponent and score every chance you get. The other extreme is to "do onto others as you would have them do unto you." Maybe you never got beat 20-0 as Blue Ridge did several years ago three games in a row. Not fun. I respect any coach who plays full out, any coach who plays with additional "hold-back" rules like 10 passes, headers only, etc. And I CHOOSE to be a coach who teaches my players not to run up the score. Saw Andy Robinson at Eastside and Terry Archenhold at Riverside sit on small leads against our team last year and it was one of the classiest things I have ever experienced.

We have won three 7-0 games this year when we did not shoot after we reached that score. I don't let my players score more than 3 goals. It's a BR rule. Doesn't have to be anybody elses' rule. It's mine. I believe it is respectful.

Don't forget that the first post on that 17-0 score was from a parent of a Wade Hampton player, and anyone who knows their kids knows exactly who that parent is. BOTH the coach and the parent are very classy. That parent was embarassed.

Keep your cool. Soccer is a game for the kids; don't ruin it with hatred.

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 04/03/08 11:15 PM.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
Quote:

Riverside would not do that to anyone, but I can tell you that I heard a student say today that they hoped Riverside won 30-0.

S
goal
goal
S
The best way for a struggling program to keep the score respectful is very simple, PACK THE BACK, check out this years scores, and its a successful recipe for several programs.

brace
brace
Agreed. Good soccer thinking.

That idea about different levels within the high school league is another great one but in reality will never happen.

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

I agree. Before one game, I heard a coach talking to his team and told them that they would have touch restrictions and shot restrictions. He also said once they were up 4-0 that scoring could only occur by headers and crossing. The final score was 8 - 0. Bench players were able to play 50% of the game and their was good sportsmanship by both teams.

I agree with this strategy. No team should feel like they need to run the score into the double digits. What are they trying to prove? It humiliates the bad teams and in a sense makes the "good team" look bad. It is unsportsmanlike conduct to go into double digits. Make restrictions with goals or stringing a certain amount of passes together. It will ultimately make the good team better. I think we are all just beating a dead horse..

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard