Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
S
goal
goal
S
Most players dislike coaches putting restrictions on the game itself. Keep in mind a HS player that plays club soccer at the highest level, premier league and or ODP can go 2-3 years without scoring a goal from the mid field or forward position(just check the stats). That same player can score a hat trick in the first half of a HS game. Is it any wonder why scores can get out of control. An average club player can be a superstar on a HS team.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Most players dislike coaches putting restrictions on the game itself. Keep in mind a HS player that plays club soccer at the highest level, premier league and or ODP can go 2-3 years without scoring a goal from the mid field or forward position(just check the stats). That same player can score a hat trick in the first half of a HS game. Is it any wonder why scores can get out of control. An average club player can be a superstar on a HS team.

Maybe against a team like Greer, but not in our region, region 2, or against the state's best.

corner kick
corner kick
As a player, I know the girls on our team actually never minded the restrictions, especially because we felt just as bad for the opponents when we were dominating so much. It's much more challenging to try to string together 6,7,8,9,10 passes, cross and switch the field than to take advantage of easy 1v1 situations, even if it's against a weaker opponent. And it got us used to more consecutive passes or working on center crosses or combinations in a game situation that we could use against other teams where we really needed it.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
brace
brace
adidaskitten - tells a lot about you as a person and as a player. Classy.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Trust me, I never minded those restrictions either, from the other sideline!

Wish everyone thought that way...I think we'd see a higher level of play all over.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal
goal
S
Adidaskitten:
Most girls play HS soccer so they don't have to string together 6,7,8, passes. HS soccer = fun, club soccer = work. HS soccer = lots of scoring opportunities, club soccer = very limited scoring opportunities. Like I said, a HS player can score more goals in one half of a game than they can in 2 or 3 club seasons.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
SOCCER is not about scoring goals...Brazil five time world champions RARELY ever scored more than a single goal a game...the shut-outs are what really count. I believe once they did score seven goals, but never more. WORK == FUN, when you really put an effort out there. Plenty of club teams score more goals. Things that come easy, quickly fade away. If you WORK for it, you have more rewards.

S
goal
goal
S
dbsandis:
If that's the case, what does that say about the quality of HS soccer? anybody? anybody?

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

dbsandis:
If that's the case, what does that say about the quality of HS soccer? anybody? anybody?

Maybe that you can't make blanket statements about the "quality of HS soccer"...it can vary greatly from school to school, region to region, coach to coach, etc.--dozens of variables can affect the "quality" of an individual program. and the top team in almost any given region can usually find some team(s) to rack up goals on if they want to.

Also, define "quality." Are you referring to the ability to put scores and wins on the board, the opportunity to collect top players and put them on the same field, the ability to train and develop athletes into better players than they were before, the ability to provide entertaining and fulfilling competition for the athletes, or some combination of the above? Curious how "quality" is defined..

I've got good news and bad news...
corner kick
corner kick
We actually did have a lot of fun trying to string together a lot of passes or trying crazy combinations to try to see if they had any chance on Earth in working ever. But then I played for Wando and our entire team was comprised of the MPSC Ice, Carolina Girls Fusion, MPSC Impulse, and a former Fury player, so I can't say anything for the schools who weren't as lucky to have a good feeder program in the area.

But then again, when you play soccer, you [should] play for the love of the game. It should be just as fun, or more so, to knock around passes and combinations and challenge yourself to find new things to do and new ways to do it as to take advantage of too-easy 1v1 moments and just knock another in the net. To me, that's no fun at all if it's no challenge. I could go do that on my own with a friend; games are for teamwork, not for gratifying your own sense of self worth by beating a less skilled opponent and putting another digit on an already elevated score. Yes, it's fun to score and as a wing or defender, I got more assists than goals. But it was a heck of a lot more satisfying to get that one in against a James Island or a West Ashley or a Dutch Fork or Mauldin than it was to make a growing team feel even worse about where they are right now. They've already lost, they've already seen what they need to work on and gotten the experience, so lodging in dozens of goals doesn't make the lesson any more effective. In fact, giving them more opportunities to defend against wall passes or crosses or corners or switches of the field is going to end up a lot more of an effective "practice" from there on out.

Last edited by adidaskitten86; 04/05/08 07:53 PM.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard