Page 1 of 2 1 2
#98643 04/03/08 06:31 AM
D
dew Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
D
I was put on notice of this discussion and this will be my first post! No matter what is stated in my post, people will be split on the correct way to handle scoring on another team. This post is to state there was no bad sportsmanship by either school in this match! It was not a "running up a score" game. At no time was the coach or any player jumping up and down, yelling and cheering for more goals. Yes! They smiled at their team mate for the hard work. Niether team displayed bad sportsmanship or played ugly! It was a bad night for both teams. One trying to prepare for one of the hardest matches they will play (Riverside #1 in the State) and the other trying to rebuild a program. Both coaches and players using the match to build on and develop into better players and as a team. It is very unfair for people to group all high scoring matches/coaches into the same category of "running up the score"! It is unfair to both coaches and the players! The coaches want to teach and develop a players skill! The player is wanting to practice that skill in a game!
With that being said and both sides of the fence having a voice on this site - Below is some information regarding the game:
This was a Region match;
15 WHHS players on the bench;
2 different keepers played;
9 different players scored;
9 different players assisted;
5 goals scored by defensive players;
5 goals scored by players who have never scored;
2 fouls the entire game one by both team (no dirty play);
WHHS 32 shots on goal;
Greer 0 shots on goal;
30 seconds into game with Greer kick-off WHHS scores;
1:30 into game 2-0;
5:00 into game 5-0;
Three starters with goals benched @ the 5:00 mark (were put back into game to help develop other players and eventually did sit out of the game);
Players w/goals were pulled back to fullback and midfield;
All subs played in the game;
Greer keeper was hit in the head by the ball about 10:00 left in the game (I think - it was late in the game);
Yes, the coaches did what all coaches do - (WHHS coach even talked with the referee). WHHS coach started working on possesion, limit of touches, dropping the ball back, no shooting without working on a skill, ten passes before a shot, headers, flank play, playing ball back to keeper, switching the field of play, limiting the amount of goals one player could score - you can name them all and they were done and the score was still high.
I want to be clear in this post that WHHS and Greer both displayed good sportsmanship in this match! Players who scored were not ugly or rude during the match nor were the coaches or parents of WHHS. Greer girls never gave up and the WHHS girls never made fun of or displayed bad behavior. No parent in this game should be ashamed of their player or their coach! Yes! The score was high, but in this case (possibly like most games with 7,8,9,12,13,17 or 19 goals) the score should not be related to bad sportsmanship for the girls, coaches or parents. We all have seen games with much lower scores that have very bad sportsmanship and behavior - yellow cards & red cards. This game had none of this!
I caution people who make post on this site to be careful! Remember that children, moms and dads read this and people should not make untrue statments about children and volunteers who (majority of them) truly are just wanting to play and coach players to do their best.
The outrage should not be in the score but the state grouping schools the way they do. All sports have high scoring issues and all that read this post know that. Be it basketball, baseball, football, lacross or soccer. All sports deal with uneven teams! I wonder if the above sports parents have these discussions on their blogs or website. I wonder if there site would have post like: That coach should not allow the player to pitch strikes,or catch that fly ball or tag that runner out at the base (watch Bad News Bears to see how a player/team feels when a team is not trying - see what they over come to make the playoffs, see how they overcome high score games you make the call on which team had the better coach). I wonder if football blogs would read: That quarterback is making too many passes, touchdowns, maybe that player should not kick an extra point after a touchdown or field goal in the game, maybe the running back should not run the ball anymore to gain yards. Maybe the basketball player shouldn't get that rebound in a game or shoot that basket because they have never scored 10 points in a game. I guess those coaches need to sit those players after they get their touchdown, one strick, one at bat, one rebound or basket. Soccer players' are no different than any other sport they just want to play their best and score if they get a chance! And most coaches do the best they can do with the situation they are handed.

dew #98644 04/03/08 03:35 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
If you are trying to justify double-digit margins, you are wasting your efforts, at least on me. There is no excuse for this. I have been coaching for over 12 years and my outdoor teams have won by more than 8 on only 2 occasions. After winning by 10 over 5 years ago, I instituted a policy of not allowing the team to score after they were ahead by 8 goals. There are tons of things that can be done to avoid scoring AND minimize the embarrassment to the other team. My favorite is to have the new goal be the goal line between the goal post and the goal area line perpendicular to the goal line (6 yards). The team still works toward goal but they aim to place the ball outside of the post and give the other team a goal kick. Not as embarrssing as running up the score or playing keep-away in your defensive half. The team still gets to work on building up and combining in the final third and accurate placing of shots/passes.

World Cup
World Cup
I'm not reading all that, I'm sorry. A man has to draw the line somewhere and mine is at about the 20th line. Let me sum it up for anyone who wants the cliff notes -

We could have scored less, but instead we took advantage of a struggling team by pounding them 17-0. Lots of people played and various members took turns in the poundage.

S
bench
bench
S
"The greatest respect you can afford a team, is by crushing them"--Anson Dorrance (UNC Womens head coach)

If you take it easy on them, they'll think you feel sorry for them. By playing hard all game, you show them you were prepared for whatever they bring your way. So if youre on the losing end, do you want the other team to feel sorry for you? Or do you want the competition? But for all the poundings my girls took starting out, that was their motivation to get better. And it worked. And I if I can get up on a team, according to Anson...I'm gonna show them respect! (nope..I'm not from Wade Hampton, or that region)

World Cup
World Cup

S
bench
bench
S
If you got cut from the Nations winningest team coached by the best womens soccer coach in any collegiate sports history, you'd get pissed and make up a lie to...maybe not, but you know what I'm saying.

brace
brace
Quote:

If you are trying to justify double-digit margins, you are wasting your efforts, at least on me. There is no excuse for this. I have been coaching for over 12 years and my outdoor teams have won by more than 8 on only 2 occasions. After winning by 10 over 5 years ago, I instituted a policy of not allowing the team to score after they were ahead by 8 goals. There are tons of things that can be done to avoid scoring AND minimize the embarrassment to the other team. My favorite is to have the new goal be the goal line between the goal post and the goal area line perpendicular to the goal line (6 yards). The team still works toward goal but they aim to place the ball outside of the post and give the other team a goal kick. Not as embarrssing as running up the score or playing keep-away in your defensive half. The team still gets to work on building up and combining in the final third and accurate placing of shots/passes.

Amen, Coach. We had a scrimmage earlier this year where the other team was playing its first game (maybe ever) and a goalie let about 5 balls just roll into the goal, they had 4 own goals, and we had 4 new 9th graders score after it was 7-0. They ran Cooper Tests the next day so that they understand from now on that we don't do that.

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 04/03/08 08:25 PM.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
bench
bench
LOL! Dale...poundage. Your daddy would have been proud.

Something wonderful is going to happen.
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

If you got cut from the Nations winningest team coached by the best womens soccer coach in any collegiate sports history, you'd get pissed and make up a lie to...maybe not, but you know what I'm saying.

I know, I know, just going off on yet another tangent (CJ, don't bother looking that word up)

Poundage. One of the most underated words in the English language!

C
Coach
Coach
C
You mean tangent? Who's typing from Hooters now?

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard