Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
brace
brace
Coach Chass, et al:

I know this is about region realignment so excuse my tangent. . .and thanks for the info, Coach Chass (and I hope your question was sarcastic. . .).

Let's not ignore two things:

(1) A few private schools have dominated A and AA sports with an unfair advantage over their public school rivals. If anyone thinks the dominance is for any reason other than the unfair advantages, that is naive.

(2) Some PUBLIC schools have unfair advantages because of public school choice in SOME counties (thus larger population from which to "recruit") and not others. . .which I feel also is an unequal playing field.

There are many instances in the state of students attending schools primarily to play a specific sport. With private schools and some public schools, all that is required is transportation, while in most public schools it requires actually living in the zoned area.

These are inequities that are easy to address by governing bodies.

This is the same as private schools NOT having to comply with the same accountability mandates that our public schools do—along with private schools being allowed to be selective. THEN we want tom compare public and private schools! (The interesting thing about this is that it is only Urban Legend that private schools outperform public schools. When all factors are held constant, there is no difference. . .I can share the research if anyone cares.)

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Emerald used to be the big voice against BE, but Woodruff is the one that is affected the most now. Straight to AAAA sounds fair to me, but what do I know? Jack - Ron - Morris - CJ - Hurst don't answer that.

I
goal
goal
I
Recruting and kids switching schools to get a leg up on their sports career, is an age old problem

example 1. Michael Jordon, left AAA power Pender Co. High school, to go to Laney a AAAA power in Wilmington N.C., the only reason he left was to get a better shot at being recurited, Poor Pender Co. had to play Laney in B-Ball, that sucks...

Former BSHS QBack left and went to Gaffney to be a starting QB, dude, like they need the help. And yes BSHS had to play him.

Valdosta GA, parents of good football players would get better jobs offered them to move into the Valdosta area, so they could pull in more good players, coaches in South GA, get 80,000 to 100,000 a year, so where the good players goes matters.

I myself had an offer to go to private high school(many, many, many years ago) for free if, I would play football. Boy they were reaching for any help they could get...

I love what you and your program does, I applaud the kids that dedicate their time to play all year and become the best they can be, I see your kids play AAAA schools toe to toe with no fear or trepidation. (sic maybe)

However, the size and location of your school, will dicate that your kids play up hill from now on... I hate it and, agree the private schools, and large University like schools get players, just because, and just because the school reaches out for them.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Coach chass
Your school is defined by attendence zones and you can recruit outside of that zone BUT that family has to move within your zone to play for you..Say I start a private school on main st in Moncks Corner and I want a competitive girls soccer program...I get to recruit within any zone I want AND the families do not have to live in a zoned area..they just have to provide transportation to my school just blocks away from your school...Sound fair to you?

Not at all, CHT...also, if you started a private school even 10-20 miles or so away, and kids who lived in my attendance zone went to play for you instead and we had to compete against players the League would normally define as "our" athletes, I'd think that was just as unfair, if not even more. But that is what happens out there. Yes, the "Why would anyone think this is an unequal advantage" was sarcastic (thanks, CC for pointing that out). I'm not sure how the League considers defining an attendance zone as an entire county and competing against schools with an attendance zone of a small town is maintaining equality among competitors. Looking at the results over many years, I think it's fairly obvious that it is not.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Playing the stronger teams does not always make you better when you can never find a way to win.Your disadvantage is no soccer club in the area so your players are not getting soccer year round at competitive levels

You're right; it only makes you better if you can maintain a positive attitude about improvement. If a team takes a "we're never going to beat them anyway, so what's the point" attitude, then it can actually hurt more than it helps. However, if they can view a match against a strong team as a lesson instead of just as a competition, it can do wonders.

Playing against teams like Wando, Summerville, James Island and West Ashley gives a developing team some very practical, hands-on experience in how the game "should" be played; they can see what works and doesn't work firsthand and at game speed, much better than a coach could demonstrate using only simulated situations at practice. If you really want to learn how to shut down an attack by a blazing-fast breakaway forward, then you have to actually spend some time playing against a blazing-fast breakaway forward, for example. An 80-minute game could be a disaster, but an 80 minute practice can give a wealth of experience if you don't waste it worrying TOO much about what's on the scoreboard. With some of my newer players, I could actually tell a difference in the way they played between the first and second half against JI. We didn't find a way to win (yet), but those two goals did more to generate self-confidence and increase level of play than running up a score on a weaker team ever could.

Disadvantage due to the club situation? Sure. That's not something that will go away anytime in the near future, not something we are in a position to change, so I don't spend much time stressing over it. The way we step up to people who DO have that advantage, and how well we learn to compensate for it--that's worth working on, and it's something the girls can take pride in.

Coach Chass #98695 04/05/08 02:33 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
I'll never catch up with Dale Jr. (who has the advantage of having many personalities posting on the same account) in number of posts, either, but now I'm only 14 away from finally scoring a "goal"...little victories! Just a few more, Chass...just a few more...

Coach Chass #98696 04/05/08 03:31 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Ha, I'm about 19 post from "Stop playing Halo, move out from your mother's basement, and get a life!"|

Coach Young #98697 04/05/08 03:39 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Well, hey...when you move out, is that basement available? I'm looking for a new place.

Especially if you leave Halo behind as well.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard