Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33
S
coach
coach
S
In reading what I wrote and the responses, several other notes:
  • If you change the term "CESA" to "Pearse, Andrew, etc.", I'd agree that a "purely advisory capacity" wouldn't make much sense. Putting "CESA" in doesn't make any sense at all.
  • I think it's pretty harsh to call CUFC a country club type of club. CUFC has done a better job than I expected -- and I believe that most expected -- of pulling off a pretty complex merger. Even some of their most egregious mistakes -- such as the incredibly large team sizes in their first year in which they were trying to please everyone -- have been reconciled. While I wish that they would switch from a group of part-time parents trying to run things to allowing full-time soccer professionals to run things, they've done pretty well.
  • There are infinite models out there that work well for different purposes. I've always called out CRSA as a great model of both a feeder club and a club attempting to penetrate and underserved markets for youth soccer. I think that Bridge was a very good attempt at a different model and may still be a very good attempt at a different kind of club; however, the folks I talk to from the lower part of the state are not as happy with it as I'd hope.
  • One thing I'd like to see is better investment by a lot of the clubs in the state. The responsibility of a club, particularly a large club, is not just to manage existing programs but to invest in and grow those programs. Right now for example, there are only a few clubs with a plethora of field resources -- our larger clubs should be investing in increasing those resources.

kick off
kick off
BFA announced they were informed yesterday that CESA was awarded a club mgt contract to run the full SSC soccer program.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
"professional clubs"? "different models"? ok, real simple here.

Carefully read the following questions and select the best answer choice.

who is most likely to be on a lake during "soccer season"?
a. tormey
b. brisson
c. savitz
d. miller
e. hyslop

who will be calculating high school soccer statistics during usys regionals this june?
a. tormey
b. brisson
c. savitz
d. miller
e. hyslop

who is most likely screenprinting jersey numbers?
a. tormey
b. brisson
c. savitz
d. miller
e. hyslop

who is most likely teaching volleyball technique to students right now?
a. tormey
b. brisson
c. savitz
d. miller
e. hyslop

who is more likely to make soccer decisions based on board and/or parental influence?
a. tormey
b. brisson
c. savitz
d. miller
e. hyslop

who is more likely to hire a parent to coach an academy team?
a. tormey
b. brisson
c. savitz
d. miller
e. hyslop

who is most likely in a soccer office right now?
a. tormey
b. brisson (not applicable)
c. savitz (not applicable)
d. miller (not applicable)
e. hyslop

who is most likely meeting with office staff regarding operational strategies in the club office?
a. tormey
b. brisson (not applicable)
c. savitz (not applicable)
d. miller (not applicable)
e. hyslop

who is most likely discussing club vision, long-term goals, current academy issues, securing staff, attracting new players, player development of the classic team players, showcase and tournament selection for 2009-2010, tryout process for 2009-2010, developing new programs, increasing results in premier league, achieving success at regionals,etc.
a. tormey
b. brisson
c. savitz
d. miller
e. hyslop

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I can't answer many of those but know most of the people involved. When do we get the answers?

Last edited by GSDad; 04/11/08 02:14 PM.
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
come on gsdad, i gave you a 50/50 on two of the questions?

ok, consider this is an open book quiz. just for shits and giggles, why don't you visit the offices of all three clubs and find the answers for yourself.

kick off
kick off
LocDog - why the attitude?

It appears you are trying to make a point that tormey/hyslop are the right answers?? Most people in the lowcountry are not familiar with them. So just getting to the point might be better.

I haven't seen any posts here against a SSC/CESA affiliation. Hopefully, it can be a great thing for lowcountry soccer.

A
throw in
throw in
A
One thing Tormey/Hyslop have in Greenville/Spartenburg area are #'s of players. The mere talent pool in the Lowcountry is just not there...Especially if parents have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to practice in Summerville. Economies of scale may be working aginst them in the Lowcountry unless they are looking to pluck players to play with their other teams...
which further dilutes the Lowcountry talent.

B
kick off
kick off
B
I agree. College combines, high school prep leagues, CAP programs, academy and club infrastructure, satellite training, major facility upgrades, fundraising and other visions that they have have nothing to do with it.

MPSC is hamstrung by the city. Clark has alienated too many people. Tripp and Phil both hold other jobs that takes time away from their club duties. This, I think, is what Loc Dog was getting at. CESA is the only truly professional club that is run exclusively by soccer people. That might be economics, ergonomics, or ebonics, but that's the fact Jack.

atl
kick off
kick off
Quote:

CESA is the only truly professional club that is run exclusively by soccer people.

I like the concept. CESA does a lot of things right. Didn't all the clubs in the Greenville area merge to make that possible? It's my understanding they don't have a lot of clubs in one area, therefore, no dilution of the player pool.

It will be interesting to see how many clubs in the lowcountry will be able to have competitive challenge soccer. With the addition of CESA/SSC fielding challenge teams, the player pool is more diluted. Which makes it more difficult for the lowcountry teams to compete with CESA-Greenville, NC, etc.

Maybe in the long run, the challenge players will gravitate to CESA-SSC???

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Great point, you are exactly right. The Lowcountry would have a club just as professional with offerings, like CESA, if it were unified and on the same page. But, the area seems diluted like you say.

CESA evolved over time from DSA/Golden Strip/St. Giles to GFC/St. Giles to finally CESA. Hopefully, time will lead the Lowcountry together, however, the presence of a Rec. Dept in Mt. Pleasant seems a big stumbling block in a Lowcountry united front. BFA tried but it needs MPSC to join in and as another poster mentioned, the competitive youth players aren't a priority for the Rec. Dept.

One thing no one mentions about CESA is the incredible way Hyslop and Tormey made sacrifices over time to make CESA come to light.

Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard