Maybe I expected (and got) more out of my players than most then. I have always considered myself lucky to have had the opportunity to coach a great group of kids. I can think of numerous cases during games where my hispanic players would come to me upset with what racist remarks other players were saying. I would explain to them that they have to let it slide...that the only reason the other team was talking like that is because they were pissed that they were getting out played. I would explain that they could go out there and show them who could really play soccer and win the game or they could sit the bench and let the other players on the team down. 100% of the time, my guys stood up and went back in the game and fought to the bitter end to show who the better team was. I might not have been the perfect coach, but I stand 100% behind what I stated above and feel like any professional coach should expect the same.

As for the OT thing. As a professional coach in HS soccer, the lesson is more important than the game. Take the kid out and you bring respect to your school, your program, and you avoid becoming a negative topic of discussion on here.