A shared vision between the varsity staff and JV players as well as the team supporters is vital. Either path that is picked by the program needs this. Player development which can be simply a buzz word, has many different meanings to everyone.
The path we chose at Berkeley was to challenge them to get better individually. I believe working as a team is an individual skill. Too many times "team work" is attempted to cover weaknesses, which is understandable but not the final solution.
Everyone on my team plays in every game. It forces me as a coach to step up my game and not have a weakest link. My least talented player will be on the field when her rotation comes up regardless the score.
The little big thing this year that I am proud of....the girls are asking for soccer balls and jerseys for birthday gifts. They know who the WNT players are. One dislikes wearing our blue jersey because she is a River fan. They know what certain moves are and they challenge each other to juggling duals. Everyone on the team made A/B honor roll this past report card.