I agree. We have had officials who have, in my opinion, called some very good and fair matches, but still have to hear a lot of negativity from the stands. People need to understand that the calls aren't always going to go in our favor, and there are a number of factors that go into each on-the-fly decision. Anyone who is out there making a conscientious effort to call a fair match and ensure the safety of the players deserves a thank you now and then.

From ground level, not everything is always seen as it is from the elevated stands, and sometimes things are missed and people make mistakes. I made a bad one myself earlier this week when I failed to notice an opposing player down and called for one of mine to save a ball that was going out. I was wrong, I goofed, and I felt bad...but I hope that doesn't make me one of those names people tend to call officials when they make an honest mistake as well.

There are only two errors by officials I get upset about--making calls that affect the course of the game when they are not in position or don't have solid cause, and (especially) failing to get involved and blow the whistle when blatant violations occur and/or player safety is at risk. We have been fortunate enough to have very few of either situation this season.

To the officials who have made a conscientious effort to call a fair match, who have taken the time to explain calls and expectations to both players and coaches to improve their understanding of the rules and the game, who have put player safety as a priority, and who have agreed to let the honest efforts of the players decide the course of the match, I want to say thank you. Keep coming back. And bring some like-minded friends with you!

I've got good news and bad news...