Quote:

A third ref is always available for any HS, as long as your AD insists on one, and is willing to pay the additional expense.

A nice thought, but unfortunately simply not true. I have spoken to the assignors myself. Expense and willingness to pay has nothing to do with it; we have a standing request for three at all times, including JV, but sometimes only two are available. We even had one instance where we were unable to play a makeup game on a particular date because there were NO officials available and some schools were already shorted from 3 to 2. In situations like this, the assignors have to make decisions on how to distribute the available personnel. Is it a big rivalry game? Is it for region ranking? Do these schools have a history of behavior that needs to be tightly controlled for safety issues? These are just some of the questions that go into the decision about who gets three and who gets two when there aren't enough to go around. Willingness to pay for three is often irrelevant.

Now, I may be completely fooled, it may be a conspiracy, and there may be a top-secret pool of officials waiting in reserve to not get paid at all because they just don't come in threes when requested...ha, ha, joke's on Chass...

But somehow I doubt it.

I've got good news and bad news...