Quote:

A nice thought, but unfortunately simply not true. I have spoken to the assignors myself. Expense and willingness to pay has nothing to do with it; we have a standing request for three at all times, including JV, but sometimes only two are available..

Quote:

I've never seen 3 at a SC school game,

Maybe it's different here in the Columbia area, but we've had 3 refs for all of our home games this year plus several away games, including at BC, Spring Valley, and Dutch Fork.

Again, my experience is in the Columbia area, but I think the referee shortage is not as great as it is perceived to be. If the games were spread out across 5 days per week, rather than primarily on Mondays and Fridays, we could come much closer to having enough refs for 3 per game. I ref'd more when my daughter was playing high school, and the referee assignor needed me mostly on the nights when I was sitting in the stands watching her play. He didn't have as many available games for me on the other nights. If more games had been scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, I would have been available to referee more games. I know of quite a few parents/refs who are in this same situation now.

I personally do believe cost plays a big part in this at quite a few school districts. This impression has come from my discussions with AD's when I ref'd games at their schools.