Regarding Parents...

I'll jump in on this one and the role that the coach can play- both for high school and the "club" side of the game. This might be a bit long…..

I've been heard to tell my parents one thing that I like about high school soccer over club soccer is the track. At this point they tend to get a puzzled look on their faces. I then ask "When you get really excited and into a game, just how close to the sideline do you put your chair at club matches?" To which they often reply- "As close as I can without being in the way." To which I reply- "That is what I like about the track." I've had one or two parents get a bit ruffled about this, but mostly they laugh and get the subtle message. I've been told that the players mirror the coaches lead in regards to behavior and what-all, well, I think the same can be true with parents and fans. I too have been VERY FORTUNATE to have great parents for both HS and club ball but I do believe that the parents look to the coach for cues on how to behave and react just like my kids do. If any of my parents are reading this right now they may very well be laughing about “the email” and they will pick at me by saying to one another “Oh goodness, lets don’t do anything to get another email.” Every now and then you will get a true knucklehead parent who just wants to do things his/her way and only see things the way he/she wants to see them – black, white, or red- as the case may be, but all in all I believe that despite all the bad press they may receive—parents are people too. (Yes that is an attempt at sarcasm) Sometimes coaches are not able or willing to jump in when it comes to parents. Sometimes they need to do more than they are.

Basically – What I am trying to do is “ditto” what Coach Chass said, I’m just not doing as good a job at being succinct as he did.

tk

Tony King