Quote:

Coach P: Several questions. First, what is the cost difference between two and three referees on a per-game basis? Second, are there any rules to prevent parents from getting together to pay it? Third, are three referees mandated in the playoffs?

For question one, I'll pull an example of our cost for officials for a 2-man vs. a 3-man system. These are for a girls' and boys' varsity double-header, typical for many schools, and include mileage for officials. Again, these are single-night figures, and will vary slightly with mileage.

2-man system: $187
3-man system: $256
Difference: $69

If you take this out over a standard 8-home-match season, it would be a season difference of $552.

Second question: That would be up to the school's athletic department, but I don't see where it would be a problem. Parents are allowed to donate money to the program and designate specific uses for it as long as it is agreed upon with the AD. We have parents and supporters donating for balls, other equipment, warmups, tournaments, etc.; no reason a booster club, whether "official" or unofficial, couldn't donate for other costs such as adding the third official on the field.

Third question, I believe the answer is yes, but I can't cite it as a rule, so I'll go on record as I'm not entirely sure.

I've got good news and bad news...