Jim,

This thread wasn't created about one specific team.

It was created about an opportunity thats being created for York County kids by this Alliance between a YC club and a major Charlotte club.

There is NOTHING wrong with what you spell out for your daughter. She is a great, passionate player who is also gifted academically.

My son loves to play and wants to play at the highest level and pushes himself hard. But its not work....he loves it. But although he loves it, make no bones his primary driver is to compete.

My daughter isn't wired that way. She loves the game and loves her team but for her....its more of a social thing. She isn't planning camps, skipping rope or juggling constantly. Nor does she drool over the latest Nike Vapors or whatever is being highlighted in Eurosport.

You act as if there are no levels between R3PL and rec. As if a kid who isn't sufficiently gifted or desiring of playing at absolutely the highest level.....shouldn't play beyond rec.

In fact...there are a bunch of levels between rec and R3PL and the expenses are graded accordingly. I don't begrudge her one dime of soccer money. Absolutely a great investment in who she is and is becoming as a person.

In terms of selling the soul.....yeah, thats just a figure of speech. Or maybe not. My boy misses out on a bunch of stuff becasue of soccer. His football playing buddies play a bunch of other sports. Soccer is a jealous mistress. Think about it....when does your daughters season start and when does it end? Assuming she played at a decent high school....when would that start and when would it end?

Where does playing football or basketball for your school factor in? It doesn't.

His buddies are always off doing things together....he catches them sometimes, but misses a lot. No regrets....but to say his journey to R3PL has been without having to have made choices isn't accurate. He leads a pretty regimented life. Soccer and school for the most part.

That works for him...and for kids like him. Not....for most kids. Lots of kids THINK thats what they want until they get there and see what it takes and the choices they'll need to make.