Thanks for the spirited posts, folks. Coach P said it correctly: keepers make plays all the time -- often great ones which may eventually prevent goals being scored -- but for a shot to be 'saved', it must have been destined for the goal had the keeper not been there. There were a number of back saves as well (none cleared off the line in dramatic fashion, but neatly cleared nonetheless). For instance, Thomas Wollersheium had a number of chances but put the ball way over the frame -- that is not counted as a 'shot' in NCAA or in high school. Many coaches or team statisticians tally every effort that a player may have 'intended' to be a shot.

In addition, I was the only one other than the official timer (officials Barry Kemp and Bob DeMailley) in the press box. I was doing public address, helping work the scoreboard, keeping the statistics, and posting updates. So I won't deny the possibility of having missed something. I have had some 18 years of experience, however, at both the high school level (including annually manning the venue at Airport HS for the Palmetto Cup) and the NCAA with the University of South Carolina. So I am comfortable in what I post

Keep up the passion you folks have for football (soccer) -- it is great for the sport in this state!

Cheers - Dave