SEVERAL OTHER OBSERVATIONS:

The pitch at Stone Stadium was second-to-none this weekend. Great playing surface and superb setting for the State Finals. What a great scoreboard. The soccer-specific tally sheet situated at the southeast side of Stone Stadium is absolutely great! A statistician's dream!

The 3A Girls officiating crew was challenged to say the least. No doubt that the better team won, but the "call back" on Austin Fagan's goal was detrimental to Riverside. As for the other matches, I thought it was pretty well officiated. The 3A Referee for the boys was a bit theatrical for me, but he did a solid job -- however he talked way too much to the players for my liking (referee, don't coach).

Great job by the Woodruff, Mauldin, and Chapin fans -- lots of you "in the house" and all very spirited. However, the Northwestern crowd was as zany and "soccer frenzied" as I can remember. Great soccer atmosphere with some outstanding soccer songs:

"I'm forever blowing bubbles."
"You are my Enzo."
"Walking in a Trojan wonderland."

Top-notch stuff!

A tip-of-the-hat to Coach Dick Smith and his wife, Linda, on the enormous presence they have in high school soccer and the unselfishness they exude in performing their duties -- "all for the kids' sake". Truly genuine people who have the best interest of our young people at heart. Thanks!