The Bylaws and Constitution changes failed to obtain a 2/3 supermajority vote of the SSC members present by six votes.

Several ironies:

1) The Bylaws changes (governing issues) would have likely passed with 90%+ of the vote. The SSC Board forced an up or down vote on ALL changes which means SSC will continue to be governed by an unwieldy 13 member board despite the fact that the vast vast majority of members wanted to streamline club government.

2.) The Constitution changes (name and colors) would have very likely passed if CESA would have compromised on the proposed color change as it did compromise on the proposed name change. CESA-Summerville retaining blue over red would have won. CESA would not bend on the color red for marketing reasons (i.e., "branding").

3.) When the meeting started, more than 2/3 of the members present appeared to support the changes. I myself was leaning in the direction of voting yes despite misgivings about the Board forcing an up or down vote on all the changes. Then, a few folks asked some very pertinent questions that the Board members clearly had not contemplated. When the Board members looked startled and even a bit confused, Andrew Hyslop decided to start talking. Several members told me after the vote that it was Hyslop's condescending tone that actually caused them to change their mind to a "no" vote.

Notwithstanding the clumsy, ham-handedness of the whole process (and the heavy-handedness of forcing one up or down vote), all of the changes would have very very likely passed if someone else from CESA (Pearse Tormey or Andrew Fleming) had been the voice and face of CESA at the meeting. Suffice to say that Hyslop is no diplomat.

One of the things the Board revealed at the meeting is that CESA can back out of the 3 year management contract for any reason on 72 hours notice. If Tormey and Hyslop want to stay, the can run SSC for 3 years absent malfeasance or insubordination. If they want to pull up stakes, they can do it this weekend.

Last edited by oldskoolpinewood; 05/29/08 02:11 AM.