Marcus - you need to re-read my post. Northern Greenville county is one of my favorite places on the planet. I spend almost every available weekend there. Greenville has changed dramatically in the last 20 years - all for the better. When I was at Clemson with Pearse Tormey, downtown Greenville was no-man's land. The whole county was literally dying as textile mill after textile mill closed. I am well aware that Milliken's HQ is in Sparkle City. I also know that his influence over Greenville is immense. Without him, no airport and no BMW. I am not sure where Greenville would be without old Roger but he still is a Yankee plutocrat and not a God.

For the record, the first shots of the Civil War were probably fired by Citadel cadets on the Star of the West. The first shots on Ft. Sumter were fired by Charlestonians. Summerville was literally a "summer village" founded by Charlestonians in the 1840s. Its first year-round residents were refugees fleeing the Bombardment of Charleston in the 1860s. In Summerville, we are the "country cousins" of Charlestonians. Though we may not always care for our city cousins downtown, we have much more in common with them than we have with the upstate.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with soccer. My point is this: if CESA had bothered to recognize the vast differences between Greenville and Summerville, they probably could have "won the vote" last night. This begs the question: is there any guarantee that the "CESA model" would work in the Lowcountry? The answer is no, there is no guarantee. It may well work, but it might not. So why not allow CESA an opportunity to make it work for a year or so before changing the SSC Constitution? The answer to that appears to be that Hyslop might not be quite so confident after all - that he wanted the Constitution changes in advance just in case he couldn't quite make it work down here. As somebody said last night, CESA "wanted a shotgun wedding when nobody was pregnant."