>>[Happy Daddy] As I type this it occurs to me that the fundamental question I'm asking can be distilled to: How important are the CESA brand and the involvement of Tormey and Hyslop to SSC's attaining its presumed goals?<<

It's a fair question. From what I've seen, predating CESA and going back to GFC and SGU, there have been two and only two individuals in South Carolina who have regularly and reliably been able to achieve consistently outstanding results at a club level and who are willing to do not just coaching but all aspects of management it takes to run a successful business. If I were on a normal company's board of directors, I'd consider moving heaven and earth to get them involved with my company -- because of that. But non-profits are always trickier -- because in general even board members are not often truly aligned with the goal of doing business better and instead have various reasons for investing their time and energy.

What I tend to see in business are a lot of people who underestimate the combination of brilliance, tenacity, and passion it takes to do something better than most others who are doing it. In normal business, I like that -- because it means the winnings are bigger for those that don't underestimate it. In SC soccer, where I honestly believe win/win is the right approach, I don't like it as much...