Marco Aurelio, I don’t believe the Hammer was slamming Spurrier and Bowden for not having “licenses,” but questioning what having a particular “license” means, and inferring that no one ever asks what kind of license THEY have (because it’s not important – like you say, “the old ball coach has a national championship under his belt...”)

There have been threads on this board about coach licensing plenty of times before. Being in possession of an “A” or “B” license does not guarantee that a person is or will be a great coach. And, not having that same license does not guarantee you won’t be a great coach. There are plenty of terrible A-licensed coaches, and also plenty of awesome coaches who have no license.

Hammer, I’m not sure what you mean by “simply on an awarded basis,” but if you will do a little research into the licensing process, you will realize that there is nothing “simple” about it. Anybody who has earned an “A” license has worked VERY hard to get to that level. Again, it’s not a guarantee, but something else to consider when evaluating a coach.

Just curious, what was the level license this coach had who left a bad taste in your mouth? Again, if you do your research, you should realize that people who were “former college players that have played at a high level” SHOULD be “grandfathered” in as an “E” level coach and possibly even a “D.” My teenage child would have no trouble getting an “E” license. “D” level is a LOT more work, but a fairly intelligent former college player should probably be able to take a verbal test to show his/her competence for gaining it without going through the entire course.