>>[Coach P] So are you saying that games are decided at that level by poor first touch, inability to pass accurately, etc, as opposed to being decided by good play off the ball, combination play, set plays etc? I must say that surprises me.<<

Yes. This may absolutely change in the regional finals or in national play, but between South Carolina and the states that consistently go to regional finals and national play, I'm respectfully stating that that is my opinion.

If you slow the speed of play down, most players have an okay first touch, they can pass pretty accurately, etc. As the speed of play increases, the best players at the regional/national level are able to "scale their game up." The more competitive states have far more players per team that are able to scale their game up, and demonstrate superior technical skills, than South Carolina.

Most South Carolina parents think a player is wonderful when they are fast, or when they are big and physical, they can score a lot of goals against weak competition, or they can carry the ball against weak competition. The problem is that when you get to regional/national level competition, there are a lot of players who are fast (etc.) The best players are those that combine superior athletic skills with superior soccer skills -- and South Carolina has far, far fewer per team than the states that typically go farther in regionals and nationals.

I'd love to blame the coaching...but I can't. I don't see smarter coaches (on average) than are in South Carolina at regionals. However, I do see better players (on average) than are in South Carolina at regionals.

If you want to make South Carolina soccer more competitive, there needs to be more kids starting at the foundation -- in recreation, then academy, then classic, then challenge, then premier.