Quote:

Fields are definitely a problem in South Carolina....but fields are a problem all over the country.

Logical solution......build soccer/lacrosse fields on campus.

Move boys and girls soccer to the fall, play boys and girls lacrosse in the spring.

Football can't have exclusive rights to the fall forever.....I think the time has come to share the season.

Wow...you make that sound so simple!

Just a couple of minor difficulties...the first being that the plan assumes that the school actually has space on campus to build a soccer/lacrosse field (I know my 4A school does not have another inch to build on), and the second is a matter of whether schools and districts will be willing and able to make the financial investment. The newer schools being built seem to be planning for a non-football playing field, but the majority of campuses are pretty well set in their boundaries and available facilities.

The other problem (again, not such a problem at a "soccer school," but you can't just use those for decision-making) is sharing athletes with football. Personally, it would help me to move girls and boys soccer to fall, but it would kill the boys' team; many of the athletes who come out for soccer in the spring are football players in the fall, and most of them wouldn't give that up in an area where football is valued above all other sports. When I was coaching in 1A, 80% of my boys' team was made up of out-of-season football players who just enjoyed the game and wanted to stay in shape. If we had to compete with football for players, though, there would have been no team.

I just don't think it's going to be practical for all but the most fortunate level of South Carolina schools to have successful, well-supported soccer programs while sharing a season with football. Sure, there are schools who have the facilites and the background for it, but there are many more who would be at a tremendous disadvantage...

I've got good news and bad news...