Quote:

Yes, both Pinewood and Cardinal Newman are playing this weekend.

I'm not disagreeing that CN will be a difficult out, and I have a lot of respect for the coaches at both CN and BC, but, really, BC as the measuring stick? I understand your personal affinity and all, but, this singular basis of explanation is difficult to understand.

I'm pretty sure 5 years ago, Pinewood beat CN in the playoffs.
Three years ago, Pinewood beat CN in the playoffs.
Two years ago, Pinewood beat CN in the Championship.
Last year, Pinewood beat CN in the playoffs.

There are players on Pinewoods team that have been a part of each of these games, so they know the road to the Championship is likely through CN. It will be a good game when they do meet.

Bear,

I was very impressed with Cardinal Newman last night and in recent years. Solid club from front to back led by College of Charleston signee Thomas Winstead (whose brother Matt played at USC and whose father Brian is one of the Gamecocks' all-time leading scorers). The Cardinals have great size throughout their squad with Nick O'Rourke and Gabe Roldan providing excellent height in the midfield.

Compliment those players with the likes of Mike Beaudoin, Zach Hrovat, Mike Maracich, and Adam Touma, and the Cardinals were most definitely the best team Brookland-Cayce faced during a grueling preseason for an inexperienced varsity squad that the Bearcats have this spring -- and that includes perennial Class 4A state powers Spring Valley and Lexington, as well as an improved White Knoll side.

As for B-C being a "measuring stick", it's probably HTP's familiarity with the Bearcats program that provides him that insight and comparison:

Bearcat Soccer (2005-2008)
.723, 47-18, Regular Season
.488, 17-18-5, Tournaments/Postseason
.714, 20-8, Region (1 Championship, 3 Runner-Up)
.633, 64-36-5, Overall

Massey Rating
'08, #18
'07, #32
'06, #20
'05, #25

Massey Strength of Schedule
'08, #22
'07, #27
'06, #12
'05, #22

Postseason (Final Rank)
'08, #4 - 3A Lower State Finals (lost to Chapin, 0-1 pk)
'07, #9 - 3A Second Round
'06, #4 - 3A Lower State Finals (lost to Dreher, 2-4 ot)
'05, #8 - 3A Second Round