Parents certainly do maintain the right to do what is best for their own child/player. I am speaking directly to the whole concept of parents creating their own team, hiring the coach, developing the standard/qualifications of the coach, etc. And, given the current state of affairs in the lowcountry, I would suspect this to be the prevailing attitude about the game and the profession. In fact, this board is full of these types. So, perhaps this thought process is not just a regional problem.

You know what, I don't have a direct interest in this. So, I say go ahead and form your team. In fact, get 15 other daddies and let them form their own teams, too. I guess CESA, CASL, Concorde, GSA, etc. have it all wrong.

Papa, get over yourself. Makes for a great, feel-good story. Sure, development can and does take place at all levels. And yes, it is great and expected that classic level players continue to enjoy the game and improve their status as a player. But, at the top level, the best players are who they are for a few reasons: individual make up, desire, and commitment to the game, competition within the team, competition on the weekend, coaching, club infrastructure/vision/involvement, and quite frankly, autonomy independent of non-soccer entities.