Quote:

No, I am not local to the Charleston area, but my daughter currently lives there. I am interested in all club soccer in the state and I was just curious about this newly suggested process of selecting a team. I was just asking if there would be tryouts and the response I got was they were looking for like-minded parents. I was curious as to how choosing like-minded parents would result in a process that was drastically different from the things you discribed in your post as being part of the "biggest joke".

I do hope this process proceeds to a point where it helps to improve the level of club soccer in the lowcountry and in the state in general.

And I don't know Craig and certainly was not referring in any way to the quality of his daughter's playing ability.

Since you are not from the Charleston area, you may not be aware of the "tryout" process down here. Again, since there are so many clubs...you are basically hoping enough girls show up at tryouts to field a team! You have some girls that go to more than one tryout. But the bottom line is finding enough girls to field a team.

I know what he is trying to do and it makes sense. And it will trickle up to the girls playing U15 next year. There are currently two U14 teams from the Charleston area, BFA and MPSC. Those teams are both fielded by true U14's as well as multiple U13's on each team. If all the U13's this year from BOTH those teams form a new team next year...neither BFA OR MPSC will have enough true U15's to form a team. It may force a merger of those two teams currently playing U14 - if these girls want to play soccer at all.

I would imagine when all is said and done that there will be a "tryout" of some sort. But the goal is to get the kids to commit to a team...and then a club. Right now we go to tryouts and commit to a club...and then they try and field a team. The result has been teams loaded with girls of multiple ages, and both of them with weak numbers.