I'll have to disagree with that last statement...playing in 7th and 8th grade (which is actually our JV), if done well and with purpose, does help develop players for HS teams, especially the ones who for whatever reasons don't have the chance to play club. It also gives players a chance to develop and move up together as a team, with familiar teammates and a knowledge of how they mesh together. We have seen a distinct improvement in level of play since we added JV teams and got the 7th and 8th graders involved; it has also helped our numbers to give the athletic students a chance to get involved with soccer in 7th and 8th grade. Those athletic types who don't have the opportunity to play soccer will get started in other sports at that age (softball, track, etc.), and once started in a sport will most likely stick with it when they reach high school rather than switch to soccer.

I advocate club play to all my athletes, I coach a club team in the fall, and I think playing club ball can make a huge difference in player and team performance--BUT--club is not the ONLY possible route or contributing factor in developing players and teams, and for areas and individuals for which club isn't an option, sometimes developmental high school teams (MS and JV) are the ONLY opportunity for some to develop before they hit varsity. I think some people who are steeped in the club environment and mentality take it as a matter of course and forget that folks in other situations sometimes have to take different routes to accomplish the same objectives.

I've got good news and bad news...