Quote:

Long story short...if you say "MS and JV soccer alone aren't likely to prepare a team to beat Wando and Mauldin," then I'll agree. If you say "MS and JV don't help to develop players for high school ball" as a general statement, I would wonder exactly what it is that the MS and JV coaches are doing.

Probably the same as most well meaning rec coaches....the best they can. Provide an environment for the kids to have fun, learn a great game, pull on their school jersey, build some memories. Just like Little League.

2 of my 20 JV's from last year played varsity this past year (both club players). I'll go out on a limb and guess that of my 20 this year...maybe another 3-4 will play varsity nxt year. All but 1 club players...and that 1 is playing this year.

The vast majority of my kids over the last 2 years did NOT play club. 5 of 20 this year.....most of them are unlikely to ever play varsity until their senior year, if then.

Our jv went from 6-7 last year to 17-2-1 this year. We played hard and at times played good soccer. Our school is NOT Northwestern.....but to be one of the 18 best on varsity you still need to be athletic and a decent player. As in, decent club player. The gap between a good 4A jv team and a mediocre 4A varsity team is surprisingly large.