Quote:

Quote:

Just asking here and nothing else Kevin, since you own a pay for play club, what do you believe is the best way to handle this? Thanks

\

Well first I would have to address the fact that I do not own a club, but that I was one of the founders and remain an integral part of the Congaree Rapid Soccer Association.

Unfortunately, I don't have all the answers, because soccer in this country is structured in a very organized manner. All aspects of youth soccer require some form of payment or financial commitment. I really believe until the club structure could be funded on a corporate level or from a professional club standpoint, then we're stuck in the current form forever.

For example, CRSA has maintained our current Select fees of $495 (which includes 2 uniforms) for six straight years. This is a bare bones fee that ultimately is maxed to the nth degree to run a "no frills" club. However, that fee still excludes kids that desire to play due to financial issues. What would be ideal is for corporate or "big parent club" soccer to exist where say a Coca-Cola would give a soccer youth entity, say $200,000 and basically say "go run the soccer program for 200+ kids, but don't charge kids to play." Then it would work. However, without corporate backing, it's a no-go. The other issue is facilities. If a club has their own facilities, then they have an inherent advantage to offer all levels of soccer -- rec, junior academy, select, academy, indoor, camps, weight training, clubhouse, training rooms, etc.

The other scenario is the big parent club situation which would formulate around the local professional club -- i.e. Columbus Crew or even Charleston Battery -- that would have a grassroots recreational to highly competitive Academy level teams organized with full-time paid coaches/staff that would devote their livelihood to the promotion of soccer and could attract all players, regardless of how much money their parents make.

In short, much like the European or South American models

Thanks for the honest answer. That would be awesome if corps like Coke or say Bose, etc. (those that have bankrolls) WOULD do something like this. I guess they just don't find it useful for them to do something like this.

I was unaware that you were not an owner of the club. Thanks for the info