Quote:

Quote:

Watching USA-Ghana today...Ghana player goes down on the field and stays there writhing. Trainers come out and consult...finally the squad of yellow-coats trot out with the stretcher, put him on it, carry him off the field, and set the stretcher down just outside the sideline...upon which he immediately stands up and walks off just before the camera cuts away.

Idiots flopping around? Not idiots. Unethical, cheating, and downright embarrassing from the perspective of a culture that believes in "rub some dirt in it, get up, and play harder!" but hardly idiots when the tactic usually gives their team an advantage...games can be decided on a free kick, not to mention a couple of yellow cards can take a physical team right out of their game for fear of ejection, never mind the damage a red card does. Just glad to see some WC officials issuing cards for obvious flopping--only if they're penalized for it will it truly become "idiotic" instead of being a smart way to play the system for people who don't care just HOW they gain the advantage just so long as they win.

exactly they have never played soccer so they would never understand it.

being an skilled soccer player from latin america, when i was a kid, many coaches would tell me;

"the dumb big guy is gone be marking you, take him one on one all the time, and try to get him mad with your moves, get him a yellow card or a red card, do it in the penalty area as well so you can get a penalty kick, he is big and dumb and he gets mad easily."

and again, i can go on and on how that fits tactically, is part of the culture, part of the sport.

the diving mostly comes from italy and south america, and what they are basically saying is "im smarter than you." and is far far away from a weak act.

diving sometimes would also tell the defender "becarefull, dont do dumb physicall tackles, pay more attention to the ball and not to the player, play clean and stay out of a red card.

now, before you want to fix our sport try to fix:

1. steorids
2. 400lbs embarrasing athletes
3. a million time outs and commercial breaks

fix your stuff first before you want to fix others.

by the way, our boys did their best, but like before, our best wasnt enought.

now lets work on a real coach, and something other than expecting donovan or dempsey to do miracles or hitting long balls to altidore.

where are the skilled-creative american players?

i played soccer & no one flopped around like a little bich.
i follow club, high school & college, mens & womens so thus the shock factor of the flop on the world stage. this will trickle down to college & high school unless the refs/rules reign it in.
it really is starting to resemble the wwe in which case it goes from sport to circus clown entertainment.
so pat yourselves on the back & justify the dramatics but it will only retard the enthusiasm & progress in this country. its a glaring obvious flaw at the highest level & i remain baffled at your argument...& your bitter comparison to other sports, makes no sense to me...who even cares about the other sports? well, look what they do is hardly a thought out convincing argument.
play the dam game the way its supposed to be played might be a better philosophy....call me crazy.

duhhhhh, "thats the way its always been done" might be the rest of the worlds way, but its usually our job to invent a better mousetrap.

Last edited by sandman; 06/27/10 08:11 PM.